• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Article: BJJ Rules Changes to Increase Fight Relevancy

Here is an article I found rather interesting, regarding BJJ point changes: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/446250/BJJ-needs-rules-changes-to-increase-fight-relevancy

I have to admit, with my very limited experience, I kind of followed most of it, but don't know about all the positions mentioned. But, I think I do see the point being made about increasing positional dominance and getting into good fighting positions.

Thoughts from the more experience BJJers and MMA competitors?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I recently heard a lot of complaining about a new 'worm guard', people were saying its just a way to stall, it's completely vulnerable to strikes, and would never work outside of BJJ competitions.

From my limited grappling experience it didn't seem any less practical than some of the positions surrounding spider guard. Like other gi-reliant positions it could work on anyone wearing a coat or jacket.

I don't know much about competitions, but I have seen some people do some things that didn't make sense to me in a fighting context.

Also at the start of the article, BEST. GIF. EVER!

Change is inevitable; adapt to it!!

Rules changes and the like don't really surprise me because promoters, will do whatever they feel is necessary help their bottom line, and this is paramount to promoters, imho!!

As far as techniques are concerned in this, same thing. What techniques don't or won't work outside of said BJJ venue, that's fine. Why? Competition techniques, imho, are designed, for the most part, especially in this instance, to only be effective within the parameters of said venue, therefore, said techniques aren't for outside of said venue.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think the writer is laying too much at the feet of IBJJF rules for BJJ/BJJ players not being as highly effective in MMA as they were 15 years ago. That, I think, has a lot more to do with fighters coming in with better skill sets. They are not single discipline fighters anymore. They aren't strikers with enough grappling to get by, or grapplers with very basic elements of striking. Upper level MMA fighters do most everything well. They might just happen to do a particular thing better and make that part of their game plan.

If the rules changes he wants were put into place, points for coming up from bottom, whether passing the guard/getting mount to do it, trapping limbs, escaping etc, it would take about a year for competition teams to have figured out ways to exploit those rules. It is the nature of competition. If your focus is on winning, you will examine the rules, figure out the most effective way to win within them. And that is the arms race that takes place. And I will make the bold, from my position, prediction that those rule changes would do nothing to change the dominance of high level BJJ practitioners in MMA.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I think the writer is laying too much at the feet of IBJJF rules for BJJ/BJJ players not being as highly effective in MMA as they were 15 years ago. That, I think, has a lot more to do with fighters coming in with better skill sets. They are not single discipline fighters anymore. They aren't strikers with enough grappling to get by, or grapplers with very basic elements of striking. Upper level MMA fighters do most everything well. They might just happen to do a particular thing better and make that part of their game plan.

If the rules changes he wants were put into place, points for coming up from bottom, whether passing the guard/getting mount to do it, trapping limbs, escaping etc, it would take about a year for competition teams to have figured out ways to exploit those rules. It is the nature of competition. If your focus is on winning, you will examine the rules, figure out the most effective way to win within them. And that is the arms race that takes place. And I will make the bold, from my position, prediction that those rule changes would do nothing to change the dominance of high level BJJ practitioners in MMA.

Solid post!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Solid post!!

2nd!!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thanks for the article bushido_man. But in my opinion the author is comparing apples to oranges with bjj and mma. yes both sports use similar positions but for very different reasons. Yes the course of a bbj match would change if strikes were allowed. But it also sounds like they would like to see pints awarded for every single position possible in a bjj match. I could agree with the escape points but some positions are just that a position.

If I have you back with hooks in and that is a 4 point position why if I trapping and arm with one hook should it be worth another point or two?

The rule system with the IBJJF if out of control as it is.

But again just my opinion.