• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu question: Kata Tensho

GojuRyu Bahrain

There's not alot to tell.

Goju ryu is based on southern kungfu and Tensho kata appears to be an attempt to catalogue some if the more subtle skills Miyagi encountered when he studied in China

I trained in a southern tiger-crane combination system for few years but my main interest is in applying shotokan kata.

The 5 crane forms I know have some great concepts and techniques which I have incorporated into my martial arts. However the movements which train these concepts are spread out, some are not even in the forms at all so I adapted Tensho to hang onto them.

I've recently started to blend some elements of siesan (hangetsu in Shotokan) as well since my favourite crane form is a likely forerunner to naha-te siesan and I like the ideas on the shotokan version as well.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
How often do you practice Tensho?

Every time I practice

What is the intent behind this Kata?

I think the intent is to teach breath control, flowing movements, and Rotational Motion.

Are there Bunkai associated to the moves?

Yes, for sure. The most basic example is the opening eye rake and chop to the temple.

Do you practice the Bunkai?

Yes, an interpretation is part of our single steps (ippons)

How does Tensho fit into the Goju Ryu curriculum? (What makes it similar to other Goju Kata, what makes it different?)

Hmm, never really thought about it but here is what i'm thinking. I was always told it's the soft of Goju ryu while Sanchin is the hard. I feel Sanchin is more linear while Tensho is Circular. They both seem to focus on breath control, but engage muscle differently. Sanchin more power, while Tensho being more of a snap.

I know this is a Gojo 'question'/thread and I'm Kyokushin, but I spotted the above and as Tensho is in my next Grading it is a kata I am getting deeper into over time.

Sosai took 'our' version form his Gojo training/teachings and added it to his karate, and as kata goes it was one of his if not his most favorite kata.

So why have I chimed in on this thread at all?

Its the questions, and specifically this question and its answer that made me stop and read more!:

Are there Bunkai associated to the moves?

Yes, for sure. The most basic example is the opening eye rake and chop to the temple.

... eye rake! :o

We are taught the hand movement is a break for a wrist lock and as part of the break action the hand is drawn 'around' a wide circle to add mommentum to the movement to continue the break of the lock so keeping the opponent off balance.

Just really nice and a little amazed to 'read' a difference in the kata I was not aware of.

(Not that that is anything new, there are plenty of differences in kata I have no clue about :lol: ), but this one was a lucky find to me so just had to chip in! :bowofrespect:

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• 2 weeks later...

Fun to see how different everyone is training! Absolutely every way of training this kata is correct, its up to the practitioner.

In my perspective I would challange the idea of thinking that Tensho is a "soft" kata. Just because its a very circular movements in the kata, it does not mean that the kata is soft or only receiving.

Try out Sanchin with the Tensho breathing and Tensho with the Sanchin breathing, its also intresting :)