• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You opinion on training at multiple schools

I am not an instructor and have just started learning karate. But still I want to comment since I have discussed the issue with my trainer and found that he does not at all encourage that a student is getting trained in a same style under another instructor. He feels that there is a chance that the student might lose his focus and will get confused. Different instructors have different approach in training student on a definite style. So it is always better to stick to one expert to develop advanced skills on a specific style.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not an instructor and have just started learning karate. But still I want to comment since I have discussed the issue with my trainer and found that he does not at all encourage that a student is getting trained in a same style under another instructor. He feels that there is a chance that the student might lose his focus and will get confused. Different instructors have different approach in training student on a definite style. So it is always better to stick to one expert to develop advanced skills on a specific style.

First off, I'd like to welcome you to KF; glad that you're here!!

Second off, solid post!!

Thirdly, your Sensei, imho, is quite right on his feeling concerning this issue, more importantly for the beginning student than for the intermediate and above student. Possibly, it's important for the beginning student to keep their focus targeted under one instructor and in one style of the MA.

Why?

Learning anything, and the MA is included, is difficult for the advanced student, but even more so for the beginning student. Everything is so brand new, albeit, so alien across the board to grasp an understanding as to what in the world is happening on the floor.

However, the decision, imho, is that of the student, and not the instructor. That's the beauty of the MA journey; it's for the individual, and this also means that any discovery is best left to the individual to reach by themselves after they've given everything a serious consideration.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Where I used to train this was one of the "commandments" (slightly reworded to protect):

If a student adopts a technique from another school and the instructor disapproves of it, the student must not use it or train where the technique was learned.

Just wondering what others think of this. I actually see some validity in it...if one is training at school X where a technique is done a certain way and at school Y where it is done differently, then the student needs to adapt the technique to each school.

This is why I think that training at more than one school in the same style would be confusing...but if someone can handle it and wants to train at more than one school then I don't see a problem with it.

I enjoy going to different schools and seeing how things are done differently. I don't think I could seriously train at another striking art school just yet-- too confusing while I'm still trying to get the basics of Isshinryu-- but I like experimenting and seeing what's out there and how it compares to what I've learned.

Reference the bold type in your statement above, I disagree here. That exact reason is a good reason to seek instruction under a different teacher. Perhaps you have a teacher that excels in teaching the technical aspect of the style. This is a great thing, and you will develop good technique from it, which will go a long way in serving you. But what if there is another instructor in the same style who excels in teaching the self-defense aspect of the Martial Arts? Then wouldn't it be worth taking some classes from that individual if you are seeking solid self-defense?

Where I used to train this was one of the "commandments" (slightly reworded to protect):

If a student adopts a technique from another school and the instructor disapproves of it, the student must not use it or train where the technique was learned.

Just wondering what others think of this. I actually see some validity in it...if one is training at school X where a technique is done a certain way and at school Y where it is done differently, then the student needs to adapt the technique to each school.

This is why I think that training at more than one school in the same style would be confusing...but if someone can handle it and wants to train at more than one school then I don't see a problem with it.

I have some questions about how this would work. Are you referring to the way a technique might be done, like a round kick? If doing forms, then I can understand an instructor wanting to see the techniques done the way he taught them. But for sparring, I say adaptation is king, and if the way you do a round kick is different, but works better for you in sparring, and still falls into the rule set, then by all means, go with it.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this, or am I hitting the nail on the head here?

Ideally, I think you should be allowed to do any technique in any class as long as it is within the rules and isn't dangerous. The student should be allowed to draw on inspiration from many sources and find out what works best for them. If the teacher thinks they would do better doing the technique differently, then they should recommend it as a teacher, rather than command it.

I have some questions about how this would work. Are you referring to the way a technique might be done, like a round kick? If doing forms, then I can understand an instructor wanting to see the techniques done the way he taught them. But for sparring, I say adaptation is king, and if the way you do a round kick is different, but works better for you in sparring, and still falls into the rule set, then by all means, go with it.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this, or am I hitting the nail on the head here?

When in line or during forms, one should adopt the techniques as taught in the class IMO. During sparring, follow the dojo rules but do what works.

I think I'd have a hard time in my Kyokushin class if I only did techniques the way I was taught in TKD...and it wouldn't be fair to my instructor to just do my own thing because that's what I learned previously.

Learn something other than Shindokan...bring it on the floor. We're all there to learn, and don't care from where it comes from. The day Shindokan becomes all that and a bag of chips, is the day that I stop cross training. Until then, I'll continue to cross train!!

Shindokan MUST be tested at all times and if techniques that aren't of Shindokan teach us across the board, then I welcome it on the floor. Even during formal classes!!

I'd never say..."Keep that where you learnt it!!"

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Learn something other than Shindokan...bring it on the floor. We're all there to learn, and don't care from where it comes from. The day Shindokan becomes all that and a bag of chips, is the day that I stop cross training. Until then, I'll continue to cross train!!

Shindokan MUST be tested at all times and if techniques that aren't of Shindokan teach us across the board, then I welcome it on the floor. Even during formal classes!!

I'd never say..."Keep that where you learnt it!!"

Interesting comment...aren't there times where that just isn't appropriate? One example from my own training is that the Gedan Barai I learn in Karate has a completely different setup then the low block I learned in TKD. In a Kyokushin class, should I do a TKD low block in line or in kata? Of course not...

I do like your overall viewpoint, though. Techniques learned (wherever they are learned) should always be evaluated to make sure they are worthwhile to use on the floor...