• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You opinion on training at multiple schools

Happens a lot i find. When it is the same style people decide to train in at 2 different dojo's baffles me and i don't know why they do it.

I train in more then one school of the same style. The two head instructors, both now 8th dan, started training together in Shorin Ryu about a month apart over 40 years ago. But each has different experiences that influence what they teach, and how they explain things. The two also still train together at their instructor's school on a regular basis, and they discuss student progress from time to time.

I do it mainly because of different focus at different classes. The one school does a lot more kata and stance work. The other does more self defense and weapons. So I get a more diversified training (which is what I'm after) by going to more then one. And I visit a cousin school of ours (same style, different lineage track) that's not far out of my way about once a month because, once again, different class (when I visit there I'm the oldest student for a change, instead of the yongest and the senior most student in rank) and different things covered as a result.

Also, we are encouraged to train at one of the other schools in the style when events like instructor vacations come up (the head instructor of one school spends 3 weeks in another state every August, and classes aren't always held while he's gone).

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if one decides they have found greener pastures, how can you leave gracefully.

I can imagine if you have a personal relationship with their sensei it would be tough

That's a case where being polite and respectful means a lot. You take the opportunity to talk with them about what you've found, your thoughts on it, explain why you are jumping, etc; and a good instructor will wish you well and tell you that you are always welcome back.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

And if one decides they have found greener pastures, how can you leave gracefully.

I can imagine if you have a personal relationship with their sensei it would be tough

That's a case where being polite and respectful means a lot. You take the opportunity to talk with them about what you've found, your thoughts on it, explain why you are jumping, etc; and a good instructor will wish you well and tell you that you are always welcome back.

From personal experience, not all instructors would be that gracious about it...and I'm guessing some students would rather not deal with the potential for grief.

FWIW I know my current instructor would welcome input/feedback from students who are leaving (he's had cases where he didn't get any). Think he would like to know so if there are issues he can correct them.

From personal experience, not all instructors would be that gracious about it...and I'm guessing some students would rather not deal with the potential for grief.

FWIW I know my current instructor would welcome input/feedback from students who are leaving (he's had cases where he didn't get any). Think he would like to know so if there are issues he can correct them.

Exactly what I mean though - it's the difference between a good instructor and a greedy one. The good instructor will want to know why students are leaving and what he can do to improve his class.

Which brings me back to my question. How can a low kyu tell someone who has put 20+ years into the ma that they arent good enough to hold you.

Who are you to make that judgement. Yes, I'm a consumer and I have the choice of where to put my money but this is personal.

Maybe I'm overthinking the implications?

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Which brings me back to my question. How can a low kyu tell someone who has put 20+ years into the ma that they arent good enough to hold you.

Who are you to make that judgement. Yes, I'm a consumer and I have the choice of where to put my money but this is personal.

You don't make it about them, you say it is not working out for you!

I've been an instructor for over 20 years now, and to say I've lost count of the number of students that have come and gone is an understatement.

I used to take it personally - especially if I had gone out of my way to offer extra help to students, but after a while I realised that training in Martial Arts - particularly a traditional system - isn't for everyone.

They might think it is at the start - but after a while, the gloss wears off and they realise that actually, it comes down to a lot of repetition and hard work.

There also comes a time when students have to do more of the "mental weightlifting" for themselves - as they progress through their grades - and some folk dont like that.

To each their own.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

You don't make it about them, you say it is not working out for you!

I've been an instructor for over 20 years now, and to say I've lost count of the number of students that have come and gone is an understatement.

I used to take it personally - especially if I had gone out of my way to offer extra help to students, but after a while I realised that training in Martial Arts - particularly a traditional system - isn't for everyone.

They might think it is at the start - but after a while, the gloss wears off and they realise that actually, it comes down to a lot of repetition and hard work.

There also comes a time when students have to do more of the "mental weightlifting" for themselves - as they progress through their grades - and some folk dont like that.

To each their own.

K.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well for sparring you want the largest variety of opponents possible. If your current location only had a few other fighters? You'd want more. Otherwise you are just learning how to beat them. There are 5 schools in the organization by son trains with. Zach has fought at all five schools on multiple occasions. To me it seems like every instructor is ok with it and even a few seem energized by it.

Well for sparring you want the largest variety of opponents possible. If your current location only had a few other fighters? You'd want more. Otherwise you are just learning how to beat them. There are 5 schools in the organization by son trains with. Zach has fought at all five schools on multiple occasions. To me it seems like every instructor is ok with it and even a few seem energized by it.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!