• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You opinion on training at multiple schools

Just curious as to what your opinions are on this subject

Part 1: Training at more than one dojo/school, in the same style... from a teachers perspective, how would you feel say you teach (insert style here) and your student is studying the same style, at the same time, under another instructor...is this typically encouraged/discouraged? Is it an issue of loyalty to you, or do you encourage them to keep an open mind?

part 2:Does you you school have a policy/opinion about training a different style of martial art at another club, while you're a student at your club? I know some places frown upon that practice.

I think in regards to the first part of the question, it seems more "acceptable" when it comes to boxing or full contact styles, to mix up the training partners in sparring from what i've seen.

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends, on the situation, so here are my two answers:

1) If it's just temporarily/occasionally - if it's the same style, and same organisation I don't think there is anything wrong with it - it's good to experience difference teaching methods.

2) If you're planning to do it as a part of your regular schedule - if this is because there aren't enough classes to satisfy your wants (i.e. there's only 2 a week at your dojo and you want to do more) I think this is quite reasonable. However, if you're deciding to substitute a class from your main sensei with another dojo, as an instructor I'd probably have a little bit of an issue with that.

Why would I have an issue? If you aren't adding them as supplementary classes I would wonder why you're doing it - am I not meeting your needs as a student, or do you feel that the other teacher is better? If you feel the other teacher is better, I'd rather you train with them and I'd have no hard feelings. But secondly, every teacher (even within the same organisation/style) often have slight differences and training at both the dojo might make it quite hard.

In summary, ask your sensei - what (s)he thinks is ultimately what matters. We're all going to have a wide range of opinions, but they don't really matter in the end.

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

1) If it's just temporarily/occasionally - if it's the same style, and same organisation I don't think there is anything wrong with it - it's good to experience difference teaching methods.

2) If you're planning to do it as a part of your regular schedule - if this is because there aren't enough classes to satisfy your wants (i.e. there's only 2 a week at your dojo and you want to do more) I think this is quite reasonable. However, if you're deciding to substitute a class from your main sensei with another dojo, as an instructor I'd probably have a little bit of an issue with that.

Why would I have an issue? If you aren't adding them as supplementary classes I would wonder why you're doing it - am I not meeting your needs as a student, or do you feel that the other teacher is better? If you feel the other teacher is better, I'd rather you train with them and I'd have no hard feelings. But secondly, every teacher (even within the same organisation/style) often have slight differences and training at both the dojo might make it quite hard.

In summary, ask your sensei - what (s)he thinks is ultimately what matters. We're all going to have a wide range of opinions, but they don't really matter in the end.

Thank you, that was insightful. I've not desire to train else where, i'm just trying to get opinions and have some good martial arts discussion, at 4:30 am my time! :)

Per Aspera Ad Astra

My Sensei likes cross-training, and advocates it, but if you are going to be doing it consistently, it's best to wait until you have a solid base in our style. We've had some people who tried taking our style and a different style, consistently, at the same time, and they just got confused :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I think that's a pretty good explanation of what I'd think too.. Maybe I'm a little bit old school in my thinking but I always think it's right to ask your sensei if they'd be ok with it first.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Just curious as to what your opinions are on this subject

Part 1: Training at more than one dojo/school, in the same style... from a teachers perspective, how would you feel say you teach (insert style here) and your student is studying the same style, at the same time, under another instructor...is this typically encouraged/discouraged? Is it an issue of loyalty to you, or do you encourage them to keep an open mind?

I don't really have an issue with this. However, some instructors might take issue with a student taking time away from his school to spend it in another, especially when it came to asking permission to test. Some schools have a class requirement for testing, especially at higher ranks.

However, some instructors do take issue with this kind of thing. They might look at it as disloyalty. I think that is a bit much, and has more to do with jealously than loyalty. I also do think that if one plans on spending time in multiple dojos, then it would behoove them to pick a style that would be different than one they currently do, like a grappling system to cover areas their current style may not cover.

part 2:Does you you school have a policy/opinion about training a different style of martial art at another club, while you're a student at your club? I know some places frown upon that practice.

We don't have any "offical" written policy on the matter, but I know our instructor doesn't really care for it. But, I've come to the conclusion that its my journey, and I'll do what I want with it.

I think in regards to the first part of the question, it seems more "acceptable" when it comes to boxing or full contact styles, to mix up the training partners in sparring from what i've seen.

This is a good way to augment your training in your current style. You can learn to apply what you do in a sparring setting with perhaps different contact levels and rules, making you adjust how you apply things. It would be a fun learning experience, at any rate.

Very good topic.

What if you found someone who is by most definitions better:

Better clearer lineage

Higher rank

Deeper understanding

Its very very difficult. I cannot see a Sensei not being insulted or at the least upset. its very hard,like you are devaluing ones skillset when yours are so inferior. Its like why do you need to swim in an ocean when the lake feels infinite?

As a kyu rank, I can imagine it sounding rough telling a 5th dan who has a wealth of knowledge and skill (more then i could possibly learn), that you found someone better - he might think "what makes you qualified to judge me"

And how do you break the news?

how do you explain that you are supplementing their instruction with someone possibly better.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

I'm not an instructor, but I find teachers who try to restrict a students training opportunities distasteful.

Training in multiple styles or at different schools can impede a students progress in the short term but once the challenges of managing vthe differences are overcome the benefits are obvious. Unless your goals are short term

I'm a bit of a cynic and so talk of loyalty to services that charge for my custom always sound to me like they are worried about their own revenue, ego or both. Certainly not about my best interests. Anyone concerned with your best interests won't mind hearing that there's someone better out there or that you want more than they are offering. They might disagree but you should not have your choices held against you.

I think a good option for a teacher faced with a cross training student is just to warn them that rank exams may have to wait if they are impeded by the extra material. If the student is genuine about wanting to learn and not wanting a belt it won't trouble them and the instructor doesn't have to worry about the student lagging.

My short answer...I've no issue with this at all!!

If it'll increase ones MA betterment, then I'm all for it. They're my students, and in that, I don't own them; they're free to train in whatever and with whomever they choose.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Who doesn't want a student that want to explore and expand their martial arts knowledge.

A different club in the same organisation should never be a problem. Different Instructors will always focus on different aspects of the syllabus.

A different martial art is great. Those students will often bring knowledge back to the club. I had an Intructor study Krav Maga for some time and it was great talking with him about some of their methods in particular with weapons defence.

My only hesitation would be a student studying a different style of karate because the differences may cause confusion. I would still never stop them and if you lose a student under those circumstances so be it. Be happy they have found something that meets their needs and perhaps look at why you didn't.