kensei

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have done the exact same thing. Part of the reason that the time is required is so that you can find out the character of a person. Any BB is a representation of your school and, as such, letting someone come in a test for it is a risk. What if they go out and start a lot of fights? Also, it's a kick in the face to people who have been putting in the time at your school. Why does this guy get to come in and test for black belt? I think that you did the correct thing.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I would have done the exact same thing. Part of the reason that the time is required is so that you can find out the character of a person. Any BB is a representation of your school and, as such, letting someone come in a test for it is a risk. What if they go out and start a lot of fights? Also, it's a kick in the face to people who have been putting in the time at your school. Why does this guy get to come in and test for black belt? I think that you did the correct thing.

This is spot on! Exactly correct.

That's why this...

A rank should be a reflection of skill, not hours in the dojo. In my opinion He should get the rank that he has the level of.
...is not correct.

No one goes anywhere and gets promoted on skill alone. Not in Karate, not in BJJ, not in Muay Thai... it just doesn't happen.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Grading for a higher rank requires skill, knowledge, and attitude. Assessing the knowledge and especially the attitude of a person takes time and a reasonable relationship between examiner and examinee.

Besides, asking for a belt-test seems like a poor option compared to finding the right teacher.

----------

7:1

------------

Goju Ryu (Yushinkan since 1989), Shotokan (JKA since 2005)

If they're a competent fighter, them starting fights is a problem regardless of what colour belt they wear. Granting someone a rank doesn't change their abilities, it merely recognises them.

How is it different from someone coming in from a different school in the same style?

I would liken it to a Shotokan student from school "A" showing up at a Shotokan school "B" and asking to be tested to see if his rank carries over. It should be up to the Instructor as to the amount of time needed to observe, but if the student proves (thru time, skill, whatever the case may be) that he is on the level with other students and the observations of the instructor are satisfactory, I'd give him a chance. It doesn't mean I'd automatically give him a black belt. But I'd give him the opportunity to try. And I'd hold him to the same standards that I'd hold my own students to.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

If they're a competent fighter, them starting fights is a problem regardless of what colour belt they wear. Granting someone a rank doesn't change their abilities, it merely recognises them.

How is it different from someone coming in from a different school in the same style?

It's different because that rank it tied to the school. Guilt by association; if the person wearing the rank has poor character, the school who gave it to them must have poor character.

Name any place that has a good reputation and will hand rank to anyone who only has the skill to possess it regardless of how long they've trained or how well they know the person.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

One of the main reasons I did not "grade" the student, other than needing my cheif instructor present to do so, was that I did not know this kid....And I had a feeling about him. See he also was not wearing a white belt, I faild to mention this prior, my appologies. He was wearing a very expensive looking Black belt wiht his name on it.

Apparently he felt that he could self grade and then get confirmation froma legit school at some point. I also asked if he was joining the club and would have suggested we grade him down the road, but he indicated he was not staying....this was simply his way of validating his rank after years of training.

After he the class he left and I was left scratching my head, I had never seen this before and figured it may be common place or something in other parts.

Even monkeys fall from trees

That is pretty unusual, just coming in once to get their rank checked. I can see that someone training by themselves (maybe they can't make it to a dojo for whatever reason) might want to ask someone more qualified if they've done it right, but from what you describe he seemed to have made up his mind about doing it right, and just wanted to make it official.

If a rank is also an indicator of character, and character is a grading requirement, then it makes sense that you would need to observe them for longer.

I've never seen someone have their rank refused for having poor character though.

I've never seen someone have their rank refused for having poor character though.

I often tell the story of one of my own students who tested, and passed, his Purple belt (he was a kid of 16) and after testing at camp my instructor came to me and told me the kid was caught yelling at his mom and grandmother and acting like a...well child.

Now the child had passed the test requirments but failed his charactor component. I was embarassed and while we had announced the student had passed at the lunch along with the others who had tested I was then told to go to him and his mother and explain that he could not pass with attitude like this, we drew back his rank and failed him.

Point is that when you test and rank with a club or association you reprosent that organization and if you act like an child and throw fits you are only making that organization look bad, ergo your attitude and rank are a big part of testing.

Even monkeys fall from trees