• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Finally, My Eyes Are Open!!

I've placed this topic in this forum because, one way or another, not all styles of the MA speak highly favorable to "traditional" ideologies, whatever they might be.

Having been a proponent of "traditional" Karate ideologies for nearly 50 years, I do, at times, get a little ruffled under the edges whenever a MAist speaks negatively about anything labeled "traditional", whether it's Kata, Kihon, Kumite, and/or anything else "traditional", especially if I've been training in it for nearly 5 decades.

I'll try to make my points, as mute as they might be, but the points I try to make are not to have someone change their mind and/or join my mindset/ideology of "traditional", in my case, Okinawan Karate, namely, Shindokan Karate!! The points I try to make are to only explain as to why I've been training "traditionally" for these many years. That's what I've been taught by our Soke and Dai-Soke; it was their way, and therefore, it became our way, thus, my way.

It's all I've ever truly known; "traditional" Okinawan Shindokan Saitou-ryu.

For those who don't understand or don't follow or don't respect or don't believe or don't this and/or that concerning any aspect of "traditional" MA, I'd like to say this. Please accept my apology if I've ever not been humble in my responses, whether they be written and/or in verbal conversations. I was wrong!!

No, I still, and will always be a staunched proponent for the "traditional" ways of the MA, especially with Shindokan. But, during this years annual testing cycle at our Hombu, I came to an understanding, as well as a new found appreciation for those who don't like anything "traditional" with the MA, especially Karate.

One of the greatest books that I've ever read wasn't a book about any MA, whether it be a methodology and/or an ideology and/or the like. No! "Who Moved My Cheese" by Spencer Johnson.

This simply written book speaks towards one vital concept...CHANGE!! This is what I've began to adopt an philosophy towards those who are no longer, as well as those who have never believed in "traditional" MA, especially where Karate might be concerned.

Change is inevitable; it will happen whether one likes it or not. For those who don't recognize the signs and don't prepare for those moments, they're doomed to suffer some type of failure, whether it be in life, or on the joy or, in this case, in the MA. One mouse refused to accept change, and finally died. One the other hand, the other mouse, who understood the concept of change, survived, and did not die. Stubbornness leads down that path to destruction!!

For those who've never believed in the "traditional" ways of the MA, this is understood and this is how they've known the MA to be true; I don't fault them in any shape, way, and/or form!!

For those who've changed their mindset towards "traditional" ways of the MA, especially Karate, I don't fault them either in any shape, way, and/or form. I've been angered towards them for turning away from "traditional" training, especially in Karate. I speak towards Karate because that's where my many, many years have been spent training in its "traditional" ways.

Here's my "Aha" moment that occurred these past few weeks while I was administrating our Hombu's annual testing cycle. For those who once trained in the "traditional" ways of the MA/Karate for some time, but then decided to no longer train in any "traditional" way, I say this...

Change is inevitable, and this is what happened to them; they learned, and became a proponent of their new found mindset and methodology and ideology because that was better for them, therefore, it was better for their MA betterment. I accept that!

Things of "traditional" flavor have a way to taste great for some, but bitter for others, and the MA isn't an exception. Taste and see that "traditional" MA is good, but, that's not possible to settle on ones palate with any enjoyment.

It's them, that I bow to!! It's them that have understood that change, for them, was inevitable, and therefore, acceptable to improve their MA betterment across the board.

I didn't savor that change, and expected those MAists to train in "traditional" MA/Karate right along with me without complaining. To eat that meat which is "traditional" that I've been eating for so long. That's selfish and ignorant of me to become dissatisfied towards my fellow MAists/Karateka.

They've not slapped me in my "traditional" face, yet, I've slapped them in their new-founded mindset/methodology/ideology by making that necessary and inevitable change in their MA training; it's their journey, and not mine. I've shamed my Dai-Soke, and I've shamed myself in my narrow minded way of viewing my fellow MAists/Karatekas.

Having said that, I'll still be that "traditionalist" through and through because that proponent in me probably won't ever be anything else but a "traditionalist" until the day I die.

Who's right? All of us are right! Especially when it comes to ones MA journey; it's personal, and it's theirs/mine!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who's right? All of us are right! Especially when it comes to ones MA journey; it's personal, and it's theirs/mine!!

There is great wisdom in your post! I've reread it many times - thank you!

The line above sums it up perfectly as I share a very similar perspective with regard to MA. Interestingly, my approach to the same conclusion has been different. For reasons I won't bore you with I started in non-traditional MA and trained this way for many many years. It was not until recently that I switched to a traditional MA - again for reasons I won't bore you with. An unexpected result is that I believe that I have a strong appreciation for the traditional because of my non-traditional roots. And I'm really enjoying putting it all together. My journey in MA is far from over ( I HOPE! :) ) but if I had to do it all over again from the start I wouldn't change a thing because it's been an excellent approach FOR ME. In some respect one could say that there are many paths to take as a MA'ist, the important thing is to take the one that suits you. Thanks again for your most excellent post !

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

Those who no longer follow the ideologies of "traditional" MA concepts, I now realize that they weren't trying to be offensive towards my "traditional" training beliefs. No. They had an epiphany that surfaced in their own MA journey, and it's in that epiphany that has caused them to discard anything that is "traditional".

5 decades in, I've finally understood that their MA journey has inevitably changed, and that change wasn't extracted under duress; for them, this is a good thing to be embraced by all fellow MAists. I will respect their choice to make whatever necessary changes in their own MA journey.

I was slow to realization, but being late to the party is better than not ever showing up at all. We all train for our personal reasons, and with these reasons being about improving ones MA betterment, and if the course of their journey is different than from another MAists journey, then so be it because the MA journey is theirs...it's yours...it's mine; personal and profound, and no should try to deny them that which is theirs/yours/mine!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Wow- great post- eagerly awaiting your book!

I can appreciate your epiphany and it has opened my a bit to accepting people's decisions might be best for them.

bUT....

More often then not, the tradition ma'ists view of the non traditional is very different then the non traditional view of the traditional practitioner.

As traditional martial artists we sort of revel in te labor of it, we savor the sweat, we appreciate the austere. This hard work seems to add value to us, knowing that we paid for our rank the traditional way. (I know much of this applies to non traditional)

My frustration with those who choose the non traditional path is focused on their blatant (in my experience and opinion) opinions regarding our methods, training and therefor it's result. It's not that they "evolve". I don't consider it an evolution. It's more that they often talk of kata (I used to be one of those people) as a joke. They believe I am wasting my time in the mirror doing shiko dachi doing Kihon.

It's not change, it's more that they believe they evolved and I am a hold out of outdated ineffective methods.

It's more akin to those artists who still make blankets with an old fashioned loom. Or potters who are making bowls by hand, or sculpture. One side of the argument says "are they all stupid, the modern machine can produce 100 times the quantity uniformly without the skills needed." I think sculptors know a 3d printer can do a better job but it's not about that.

What it's all about it traditional spirit! That maybe a glimmer of whAt was going on in okinawa lives again in us.

And we forge that traditional spirit the only way possible.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

As one of my seniors used to say - how you view what you do through the spectrum of keiko - will change over time.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

There is great wisdom in your post! I've reread it many times - thank you!

The line above sums it up perfectly as I share a very similar perspective with regard to MA. Interestingly, my approach to the same conclusion has been different. For reasons I won't bore you with I started in non-traditional MA and trained this way for many many years. It was not until recently that I switched to a traditional MA - again for reasons I won't bore you with. An unexpected result is that I believe that I have a strong appreciation for the traditional because of my non-traditional roots. And I'm really enjoying putting it all together. My journey in MA is far from over ( I HOPE! :) ) but if I had to do it all over again from the start I wouldn't change a thing because it's been an excellent approach FOR ME. In some respect one could say that there are many paths to take as a MA'ist, the important thing is to take the one that suits you. Thanks again for your most excellent post !

I think to experience both is a great thing, to see how each side does it. From their, its only natural that someone will fall to one side or the other.

My frustration with those who choose the non traditional path is focused on their blatant (in my experience and opinion) opinions regarding our methods, training and therefor it's result. It's not that they "evolve". I don't consider it an evolution. It's more that they often talk of kata (I used to be one of those people) as a joke. They believe I am wasting my time in the mirror doing shiko dachi doing Kihon.

It's not change, it's more that they believe they evolved and I am a hold out of outdated ineffective methods.

On the flip side of this, I think many "traditionalist" tend to have an aversion to change, or seeking anything different. It happens on both sides. Perhaps its loyalty to a style or instructor that causes this, but it does happen on the other end. Some "non-traditionalists" may view doing forms as a waste of time because they believe time could be better spent partner drilling or working some other aspects of self-defense. There are pros and cons to doing it both ways. The problem is that many times neither side takes the time to slow down and listen and learn from the other side.

Bob, this is a great topic. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. In what ways did you experience this "aha" moment during your testing cycle?

Bob, this is a great topic. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. In what ways did you experience this "aha" moment during your testing cycle?

Great question !!!

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"