• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Small-Surface Strikes

Wastelander

We have recently been discussing toe kicks (a small-surface strike) here at KF, and then someone asked me, on YouTube, about another small-surface strike (the extended-single-knuckle fist). It seems to be the in-thing right now! I'm curious as to what types of small-surface strikes you all practice/use, outside of the toe kick, and how to train them?

For a bit of clarity, a "small-surface strike" is pretty much any strike that utilizes a very small striking area. Some examples, other than the ones above, would be oyayubi-uchi (thumb knuckle strike), washide-uchi (beak hand strike), and nukite-tsuki (spear hand thrust). Ryan Parker Sensei wrote a great blog post about small-surface strikes, if you're unfamiliar with them: http://ryukyuma.blogspot.com/2013/04/small-surface-strikes-structurally.html

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Besides the toe-kick, the ippon ken or first finger knuckle strike is a part of what my sensei teaches in his curriculum. Over his decades of training he has developed bump of callous skin over these on each hand. I've seen him break several boards with it.

I asked him about it and he told me that conditioning took much longer compared to other parts like the fists. His way is to knock on a board with that knuckle. At first nearly no power is needed. Just knock as is you are knocking at a door and repeat several hundred times.

The fist is formed with the first knuckle protruding and the thumb held over the hole of the tightly folded index. Like a standard fist is is also very important that the little finger be held very tight to prevent the fist from deforming on impact and loose power. I don't know much else about this besides what was explained to me. I am not yet at shodan so I have not been actually introduced to the technique. Some of the advanced kata have these strikes where other styles commonly use the nukite or spear hand.

In my Shorin training we only practiced nukite and chicken beaks. Now that Im training Uechi it has opened my eyes small surface strikes again. Nukite, Boshiken(thumb knuckle strike), Shoken(one knuckle punch), Hiraken(tiger/half fist) and Kakushiken(crane strike.)Uraken is also one i commonly forget but love the Okinawan use of it.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

In shotokan we utilize the ippon ken for many techniques.

There are many more, however the ones I've been made most aware of are strikes directed to the eye balls, as well as the bicep. I've only reached 1kyu so I'm more than positive that there are plenty more effective strikes using the ippon ken within our art. The above are merely what I have been personally taught.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

Hi there

I love to use nakataka (nakadaka) ippon ken (middle knuckle of middle finger). This strike makes big impression on opponent in sparring or competition. Most painful when lands on ribs, especially on small one.

Other small surface that I like to use is Ippon oyayubi ken (middle knuckle of thumb) specially when going to choke or take down, pressing that on side of the neck make biggest guys to go down very quickly.

Shin ai do - the way of true adaptability,

My blog http://shinaido.wordpress.com/

https://www.shinaidokarate.com

fb - Shinaidomartialarts

Glad to see some people using small-surface strikes! Mostly, I focus on keiko-ken (ippon-ken with the index finger knuckle), but I do work the others, as well. I just find keiko-ken to be the most effective, for me. Holding myself in a plank position on them (on a mat!) has really helped strengthen them, and I've been hitting the maize bag with them a lot, as well.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Nice topic, thanks for starting it.

Boshi-ken (thumb knuckle strike)...this strike is used heavily in Shindokan. I use this so often in Tuite/Kyusho that everyone in Shindokan, or those who've trained with me for some time, knows to watch out for it, even though, it's rarely blocked because it comes from anywhere and everywhere during any transitions and the like. In Shindokan, we also extend out our striking thumb while pressing it against the index finger; just "pop' the thumb out from the cradle of the index finger, thus striking with the very end of the thumb, akin to a poke!!

The other small surface strike that I just adore is Hiato-uchi (ridge hand strike). Even though it mimics a telegraphed movement, it's truly can be called part of the short-range techniques in Shindokan because of the manner from which it's delivered...up and in, within a very small arch toward target(s).

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

My terminology has degraded to the point I'm not even going to try again. So, English...

Thumb knuckle, knife hand (Making sure that you are using that protrusion at the base of the hand), foreknuckles (I tell the guys to knock on the door) and middle knuckle of second finger. First finger, I just haven't gotten the conditioning for. Toe kicks are trouble for me barefoot, my second toe is longer than my big toe, makes holding the right "posture" very, very hard.

I love things other than the closed fist. Gloves for sparring have made that closed fist, along with Western preference, have gone a long way to smothering other strikes out. Preach about targeting of those strikes too. They aren't for everywhere, just where they belong.

Anyone use the thumb tip much? Not the knuckle, but the tip. Supported on the top of the index finger in a fist, it's got what I feel is a very good structure. It fits plenty of targets and tends to be people's attention (in a pair reaction) very quickly.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

My terminology has degraded to the point I'm not even going to try again. So, English...

Thumb knuckle, knife hand (Making sure that you are using that protrusion at the base of the hand), foreknuckles (I tell the guys to knock on the door) and middle knuckle of second finger. First finger, I just haven't gotten the conditioning for. Toe kicks are trouble for me barefoot, my second toe is longer than my big toe, makes holding the right "posture" very, very hard.

I love things other than the closed fist. Gloves for sparring have made that closed fist, along with Western preference, have gone a long way to smothering other strikes out. Preach about targeting of those strikes too. They aren't for everywhere, just where they belong.

Anyone use the thumb tip much? Not the knuckle, but the tip. Supported on the top of the index finger in a fist, it's got what I feel is a very good structure. It fits plenty of targets and tends to be people's attention (in a pair reaction) very quickly.

To the bold type above...

I use it all of the time. I referred to it briefly in my last post...

In Shindokan, we also extend out our striking thumb while pressing it against the index finger; just "pop' the thumb out from the cradle of the index finger, thus striking with the very end of the thumb, akin to a poke!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

To the bold type above...

I use it all of the time. I referred to it briefly in my last post...

In Shindokan, we also extend out our striking thumb while pressing it against the index finger; just "pop' the thumb out from the cradle of the index finger, thus striking with the very end of the thumb, akin to a poke!!

Well now, there goes my bragging on my reading comprehension! Sorry I missed that Sensei8. The thumb tip is a weapon I use somewhat, but most of my students down. When I can drag them away from clinched fists, I get them to knife hands and forearm/elbows and I'm tickled with that.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine