Kickchop19

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Karate is a poor style to pick for self defence in my opinion.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Any style can win if you have a great fighter doing it. Or should I say any style can loose if you have a poor fighter using it.

Sort of like great players make great coaches.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

If fighting is your goal, I reccomend "gun-fu" and a good attorney. If you are interested in becoming a martial artist, any style will do. :D

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

i hear karate focuses more on kata and not much fighting or conditioning. i suppose it really depends on the dojo though.

if your goal is to be able to fight and beat other styles, may i suggest muay thai or BJJ? :D

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

Most systems of karate will have a focus on kata but that don't mean they don't teach you how to fight or should I say defend yourself.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Lack of sparring, too much emphasis placed on katas ..

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Hey Bon, Isnt sparring just a glorified game of tag ??? Realistically it can teach distance, timing and positioning. IMO sparring will not really teach you self defence either. I believe it takes a combination of sparring, kata, heavy bag work and a bit of grappling with an understanding of body mechanics.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.