• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Respecting the art

Hey in my defense who in a thousand years would have thought the belt would come into play on the first technique taught by Master Palhares. But I had his hook up due to the fact I had earned my blue belt in BJJ just three weeks prior so all was good.

Maisweh what kind of certification can you get in BJJ in a weekend because I could teach a weekend seminar on armbar variations.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Excellent mindset...excellent!

I believe that for one to respect said art, one must FIRST respect the floor; this you've done admirably across the board. Being honest with yourself, and in that, your students will respect you the more, works hand in hand, however, it starts with you!!

The old saying says, something like this..."You've got one chance to make that first impression; so make it a good one". After that, it's all downhill from there if you've only made that bad impression, and no matter which one you've made, it'll be a lasting one!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

they have a taekwondo school around here now that just added in bjj classes after going to one of those weekend certification seminars. he wears his tkd blackbelt to "teach". pretty hilarious during a festival they did a demo and performed some bjj and talked about it. a bluebelt friend of mine shows up to the school for a free class, makes the blackbelt tap a few times and tells him he needs to take the belt off.

This brings up a few points for me.

1. If the guy is teaching a "BJJ Class," then he probably should wear an appropriate rank. If he is mixing things in class for TKD students, then I wouldn't worry about it so much. If I decide to teach some of the DT that I have learned in GRACIE in my TKD class, I won't be changing belts. Like I mentioned earlier, though, if I am teaching outside of my regular class setting with my students, I would probably do just casual workout clothing, no-gi stuff.

2. What is this weekend certification seminar? Who puts it on, and what does it entail? Also, is this coming out of the BJJ community, and is it supported by the BJJ community? Some want to bang on a TKD guy for teaching it with his belt on, but what are these seminars telling them, and how do they promote it?

they have a taekwondo school around here now that just added in bjj classes after going to one of those weekend certification seminars. he wears his tkd blackbelt to "teach". pretty hilarious during a festival they did a demo and performed some bjj and talked about it. a bluebelt friend of mine shows up to the school for a free class, makes the blackbelt tap a few times and tells him he needs to take the belt off.

This brings up a few points for me.

1. If the guy is teaching a "BJJ Class," then he probably should wear an appropriate rank. If he is mixing things in class for TKD students, then I wouldn't worry about it so much. If I decide to teach some of the DT that I have learned in GRACIE in my TKD class, I won't be changing belts. Like I mentioned earlier, though, if I am teaching outside of my regular class setting with my students, I would probably do just casual workout clothing, no-gi stuff.

2. What is this weekend certification seminar? Who puts it on, and what does it entail? Also, is this coming out of the BJJ community, and is it supported by the BJJ community? Some want to bang on a TKD guy for teaching it with his belt on, but what are these seminars telling them, and how do they promote it?

I know there is at least one guy out there that does a weekend seminar and issues you a navy blue belt to teach bjj. He's very expensive. I don't know if he's still doing this, but he was outed on another site back in the day for doing it. I won't mention his name here, though.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

That's interesting. A navy blue belt? Like a sub-blue belt, or something?

When I went for the certification on the GRACIE DT system, there was a blue belt there with us, taking the class. No way could I do much of anything with that guy. I'm not sure how much someone can pick up and do in a weekend seminar. Aside from that, how do they, or do they even, go about promoting or learning knew stuff?

Is this a BJJ guy that went sideways, off on his own, or is he still affliated with a school somewhere? I'm not interested in the name, just the circumstances here.