• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm 34 and used to practice shotokan about 20 years ago.

Recently went back to it and have been training hard over the last couple of months and have just graded - sensi said he would grade me at the level he felt I was at due to my previous training (the muscle memory remembered a lot of the technique)

So I've graded at green. A decent stepping stone on my way to black

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well done, Larry!! Pretty similar to my story, I started back at 34 after a 26 year gap, gained promotion from 8th-6th Kyu. I've been back a year and a half and hope to grade for 3rd Kyu next month. It feels good when your Sensei shows faith in your abilites doesn't it?

Congratulations again!!! :karate:

M.

Be water, my friend.

First of all, Welcome to KF; glad to have you here!!

Congrats on you being graded to Green...feels good, huh?!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well done, Larry!! Pretty similar to my story, I started back at 34 after a 26 year gap, gained promotion from 8th-6th Kyu. I've been back a year and a half and hope to grade for 3rd Kyu next month. It feels good when your Sensei shows faith in your abilites doesn't it?

Congratulations again!!! :karate:

M.

Thanks

That's me 6th KYU as well

First of all, Welcome to KF; glad to have you here!!

Congrats on you being graded to Green...feels good, huh?!

:)

It does,

I told my sensei when I started back I wasn't fussed about belts, skipping belts or working back through them but he said it would be better for me to be learning at the appropriate level

I like it that rank isn't critical to you, and that training is even moreso; sounds great to me!!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Congrats!!

Much the same story as me too.

Did Wado Ryu as a kid about 9 years old. Then went back to Wado about 2 and a half years ago when i was 31. Skipped from 10th to 8th Kyu... and now i will be grading 1st Kyu this month!

Its amazing what your body remembers from childhood!

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

Congrats!

I did the exact same thing. I obtained rank of 6th kyu when I was a teenager, but had to quit. I started training in a similar style 22 years later, and I attended class in my white belt. My sensei allowed me time to familiarize myself with new techniques and remember my old training. When he felt I was where I needed to be, I tested, and I was able to get to 5th kyu. After a few more years of training, I'm now a Nidan in his system.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

I'm 34 and used to practice shotokan about 20 years ago.

Recently went back to it and have been training hard over the last couple of months and have just graded - sensi said he would grade me at the level he felt I was at due to my previous training (the muscle memory remembered a lot of the technique)

So I've graded at green. A decent stepping stone on my way to black

Congratulations sir!

Good for you well done!

Nice to be back isn't it?

:wink:

I'm years old (your a whipper snapper to me :wink:) and was regraded a few months back to 1st kyu!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.