• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you believe in the idea of an "ultimate" style?

I believe there are superior ways to train, depending on intended goals, and that certain styles through established traditions and/or mentality are more prone to incorporate or innovate the superior ways. However, that is just part of the puzzle. How an individual trains by themselves, outside the context of style and system, will define the final outcome with regards to their competency. There are a few "utlimates" in that respect;

If one wishes to compete than one should embrace styles, and training methods which have proven effective in professional circles of MMA and other combat sports.

If one wishes to defend themselves as a civilian, one should look into methods adapted to self defence. Methods adopted by the police or security personnel are a good place to start.

If one is involved in the armed forces and may require these skills in actual life or deaf situation, than combatives or even looking at older systems for a source of inspiration and knowledge may be wise.

My point being; "Ultimate" is relative to the outcome sought. You will come across the "Ultimate" for you perhaps several times through out your life. However, saying that, there are superior methods and inferior methods so you should always strive for superior.

End of the day, you should strive to be the best you that you can be. Time will rob you of being the best eventually if you determine best by how many people you can hurt.

R. Keith Williams

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The definition of "Ultimate" will vary from MAist to MAist, therefore, to stive for that ultimate in ones MA journey is without consideration and appreciation.

Imho.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think we all have biases, based on what we do and what we see. I think we also suffer from the grass being greener on the other side from time to time, too. We see how someone else does something, and we wonder why we aren't doing it that way. Then we switch, and and thing we have found the golden fleece, and then years later, we realize that we had was just fine.

As for the ultimate style question, I do think there are some styles out there that are more conducive to some things than to others. In the end, many could argue this till the end of time, and many won't be convinced otherwise, so there really isn't a point to it. What matters is if you enjoy what you study, and if it meets the goals you are looking for.

I believe there are superior ways to train, depending on intended goals, and that certain styles through established traditions and/or mentality are more prone to incorporate or innovate the superior ways. However, that is just part of the puzzle. How an individual trains by themselves, outside the context of style and system, will define the final outcome with regards to their competency. There are a few "utlimates" in that respect;

If one wishes to compete than one should embrace styles, and training methods which have proven effective in professional circles of MMA and other combat sports.

If one wishes to defend themselves as a civilian, one should look into methods adapted to self defence. Methods adopted by the police or security personnel are a good place to start.

If one is involved in the armed forces and may require these skills in actual life or deaf situation, than combatives or even looking at older systems for a source of inspiration and knowledge may be wise.

My point being; "Ultimate" is relative to the outcome sought. You will come across the "Ultimate" for you perhaps several times through out your life. However, saying that, there are superior methods and inferior methods so you should always strive for superior.

End of the day, you should strive to be the best you that you can be. Time will rob you of being the best eventually if you determine best by how many people you can hurt.

This is spot on for me. There is no one ultimate style but you can't deny that some are better that others for certain goals. Don't do Tai Chi if you want to compete in full contact. Don't train BJJ if you want to strike. Don't join a boxing gym if you want to grapple. When choosing a martial arts school you should really make sure the style aligns with what you want to get out of your training.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius