• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you believe in the idea of an "ultimate" style?

As the title states, I'm curious of what peoples views are...is it the style, or the practitioner? or is there certain styles over that would gear you towards better self defense/combative skills then others?

This is where this is coming from, as for years, I've been doing muay thai, and I guess I'm just burned out. I've started learning Shotokan and loved it, it's open my mind up so much...that if it's not so much the style that makes the person effective, what is the X factors that do?

I used to feel like muay thai was the "Ultimate" striking system, but I pulled my head out of my butt and seen differently...but now I'm trying to figure out "what" is it that makes the style/person effective?

I know this post is pretty scatterbrained and all over the place, so I hope you follow what I'm trying to say, I've been having trouble putting my thoughts on this subject down articulately.

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Absolutely NOT.

Its about the practitioner, the Sensei, not the art.

I used to believe that jujitsu was the ultimate art, used to think kata and karate had decent striking but was kept alive for nostalgia reasons. I had low opinions of TKD and pretty much anything else that wasnt my art.

I thought if you didnt agree you were not "in the know"

I was wrong. Very wrong.

The art DOES NOT WIN THE FIGHT, the practitioner does.

I sparred with a woman who had a 2nd degree in TKD half my weight and much shorter. Everytime i tried to enter, she would do a spinning back kick so fast, and it would stop me in my tracks. Yes I could have overpowered her but her training in other arts would have kicked in and I would have been picking my ears up off the floor.

also I know she was pulling those kicks. She would have done damage if she wanted. I felt the blunt force of her whole bodies momentum focused on one point - like a sledgehammer, properly executed and impressive.

I Can't help but feel that people who speak of an "ultimate art" are small minded. I don't mean to insult anyone. But I won't underestimate anyone based on what they train.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

I used to feel like muay thai was the "Ultimate" striking system

I remember thinking the same thing about Shorin Ryu. It was clear (to me) that it was the best system and that I could beat anybody (except for those who also did Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu).

Now I know better. There is no ultimate system. Even with a good sensei and practitioner sometimes you have to find a system that works for you. That's why I'm such a huge proponent of cross training.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I thought I was great after getting bb in Shotokan but have also opened my eyes a bit....

Funakoshi once said that his art was just "karate" so not fussed about style etc, Bruce Lee was famous for taking what he wanted from different styles.

There is no better, just good...

No, I do not believe in the ultimate style because we are fallable, and in that, something fallable can't achieve anything ultimate!!

Imho!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I personally do not believe in an ultimate style never have. There are styles I prefer over others due too the mechanics. I do however believe in an ultimate blend of styles. And this will vary from person to person. In my opinion you can't have a singular ultimate style since individual style have faults. For instance boxing lacks kicks and grappling techniques, and Jiu Jitsu is lacking in striking technique for the most part. And wrestling is void of all strikes, like wise karate and kick boxing are void of grappling moves also for the most part.

It's nice to see I'm not alone, that I wasn't the only one who had the same flawed mind set.

I guess that's where I'm at now. I keep trying to break this flawed logic of "I have to do things this way, in this style" because it's what I've became assocaiated as the "Correct way" when in reality, there is no "Correct way"

Per Aspera Ad Astra

No, I do not believe in the ultimate style because we are fallable, and in that, something fallable can't achieve anything ultimate!!

Imho!!

Great great post!!!

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

The very idea that styles can be effective or ineffective is nonsense. Techniques are just movements and nothing more. Effectiveness depends one hundred percent on the individual's ability to apply them. This ability comes from knowledge of proper form, repeated practice and experience.

If there really was an ultimate style, then it would work for absolutely everyone using it 100percent of the time regardless of the adversary. If taught and practised effectively any system will work. If taught or trained inefectively any system can become nothing more than gymnastics or dance. That is why there is a McDojo for every single martial art you can imagine(and yes it includes BJJ). You name it, they've bastardized it somewhere to make a profit.

I think it certainly comes down to the person as stated before. You can put the average Joe into a race car and have that person get beat by a professional race car driver on a course. Same goes for martial arts... Train someone in the "ultimate" system who is not dedicated and put them against a dedicated individual in an "inferior" system and I'm sure the dedicated individual will win 9/10 times.

Take care

ChuckD