• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The virtues of board breaking

I like board breaking, and for the reasons that Bob and DWx talk about, that expresses what breaking is about. I don't think breaking has to be done to the extreme, but if it is, it can be fun, too. Board breaking is one of the ultimate definitions of technique. I recommend taking one, and making it yours.

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree.

Quick update: So today for the first time I broke 5 boards (the thick ones and without spacers) with a half step side kick - cut through it like butter. I know that many here can do better but for me it's been a lot of work on my technique and also - and more importantly - on my timing. I am slowly appreciating more and more the value of board breaking. Forward and onward from here. My GM said something about "bricks" afterward. He's a lovely person with a thick Korean accent so I didn't quite get what he meant. I'm not sure if he means that's what we'll work on next. Doesn't matter - either way I'll follow his lead. Hope everyone has a great weekend! Cheers!

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

Totally agree.

Quick update: So today for the first time I broke 5 boards (the thick ones and without spacers) with a half step side kick - cut through it like butter. I know that many here can do better but for me it's been a lot of work on my technique and also - and more importantly - on my timing. I am slowly appreciating more and more the value of board breaking. Forward and onward from here. My GM said something about "bricks" afterward. He's a lovely person with a thick Korean accent so I didn't quite get what he meant. I'm not sure if he means that's what we'll work on next. Doesn't matter - either way I'll follow his lead. Hope everyone has a great weekend! Cheers!

Congrats...five boards isn't as easy as one or two. The mind usually gets in the way of the break because the mind says..."Man, five boards, that's a lot!!" Doubt tries to creep in, but once the mind is set free of any preconceived notions, the only thing that can get in the way is technique...oh yeah, and the holders can make or break you if they're not properly trained on how to hold said material.

Again...CONGRATS!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Awesome! well done!

5 is nothing at all to be sneezed at, nothing at all by a long way!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• 1 year later...

I'm not even going to comment on breaking anything but boards. I won't waist your time. Many martial arts make a note of breaking many things, I have always only broken boards at testings only. We have always used 1 inch thick pine boards. They can be very easy to break with a hammer fist or something, I did break my middle finger knuckle as a white belt while doing a punch. Slightly wrong angle left too much force going to one knuckle. Just a "boxers fracture" nothing serious but never been the same.

I have never not been able to break a board. The video above with the guy who can't break the board? I don't get it, what type of board I wonder does that have to be for a supposed 2nd or 3rd dan (video on phone is small and I can't see that well. At least at that level you would think he would know what he can and can't do in front of people. Sensai8 above made some great points, one point was the poor job (not a quote) that the assistant was doing holding. No question that's true, but even if that was the case he should have been able to adjust in my opinion, if his rank carries the weight that I would concider a second or thirds dan. By adjust I mean make it more like a speed break which requires more "snap" in the strike, and not follow through alone, although he was clearly missing the "punch through" part of the strikes as well. I'm really just confused watching this.

Anyways, I posted this in another thread but it seems apropriate here. My first time using a roundhouse kick with the ball of my foot. Used a youth size board which is .75 of an inch laying around so used it. It was after testing and I didn't have the 1 inch. I'll try it another time though. For those who didn't know, a speed break requires more snap as I stated. If you simply follow through and the strike has little speed and force at the point of contact, the board will push, not break. Was fun!

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

Even if you think "boards don't hit back," there's still a lot to be learned from breaking. The people who don't do it are missing out on what I think is the most important lessons learned by breaking...

Block everything else out of your mind, concentrating only on the task at hand

Visualize and practice proper technique several times before acting

Visualize accomplishing the task

The boards won't break themselves; you have to act

At the right moment, fully commit without any hesitation; the slightest hesitation won't accomplish the task

Don't just strike the surface; punch through it with a full follow-through

Following these principals is metaphorical for any difficult situation in life. So many times in my life I've thought "punch through it!"

I do think people get a bit carried away with breaking though. It's like everything else - you need a balance all aspects of your training.

Also, punching bags "don't hit back" either. Do these people think there's also no value in hitting any type of bag or pad too? Or do they give the idiotic answer of "it's not the same thing."

I've been doing a lot of watching and listening to different power lifters talk about the stuff they do, and I've come to see board breaking a lot like an attempt at Olympic weightlifting or Powerlifting. You go out there onto the platform with the weight all set up and ready to go, and its just you and your technique, and the training you have done to prepare for that moment. One max effort.