• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Decline of Kung Fu in China

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's a very interesting article--thanks for sharing! I've actually heard of the same type of thing occurring with karate on Okinawa, and in Japan. People are forgoing karate practice in favor of a number of other activities, including MMA. I think it's a very sad cultural loss. At the same time, I think that those who study traditional arts can learn from the pressure testing of MMA and re-energize their teaching/training methods.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I think its just the nature of how things evolve and change. With time, perhaps a different crowd will take up the interest, and keep it alive. I think what is unfortunate is that it sounds like the government has been as much to blame for the delcine as anything else.

• 2 months later...

Anyone ever read American Shaolin? IT's about an American who became a Shaolin monk in the early 90's, when China had just barely started to open up. According to the author, Chinese people were just obsessed with kung-fu at the time. More recently though, I have a ton of Chinese in my social circle, and they all tell me that nobody gives a crap about kung-fu anymore. I guess it just doesn't have much of a place in modern Chinese society- there's not that much violence, except at the hands of the government which nobody can do anything about, and everyone's too busy working anyway.

San Soo black belt, rock and roll singer, and world traveller. I help people find their dream jobs at johnfawkes.com

Yes, I don't want to get political here, but, the Chinese government are pleased to allow some practice for health and fitness; but if your martial art becomes a movement for change or cultural liberation, then they will outlaw it. I met members of a Chinese Qi Gong association that suffered persecution, jail terms, torture and death at the hands of their government, just because the Party felt threatened by their cry for spiritual freedom. The decline in Wu Shu suits the Chinese government very well.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Yes, I don't want to get political here, but, the Chinese government are pleased to allow some practice for health and fitness; but if your martial art becomes a movement for change or cultural liberation, then they will outlaw it. I met members of a Chinese Qi Gong association that suffered persecution, jail terms, torture and death at the hands of their government, just because the Party felt threatened by their cry for spiritual freedom. The decline in Wu Shu suits the Chinese government very well.

yeah, I saw some preserntations about the persecution of falun gong practitioners. It's pretty shocking.