• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MMA in Ontario, Canada no more?

molson style ,talk to me on icq, also i study at the cultural martial arts academy molson style ,talk to me on icq, also i study at the cultural martial arts academy

i can't believe it was banned , well you gotta love the french, they don't have a clue whats goin on

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

• 4 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MMA was legalized in a couple of provinces here in Canada and it can be made legal here in Ontario, nothing is impossible. I plan on contacting Ken Hayashi, Athletics Commissioner and try to get some information as to what needs to be done for MMA to be legal here in Ontario.

Here is Mr. Hayashi's contact information:

Ken Hayashi

Phone: 416-314-3630

Fax: 416-314-3632

E-Mail: Ken.Hayashi@ccr.gov.on.ca

Address:

Ken Hayashi

Athletics Commissioner - ATHLETIC COMMISSIONER'S OFFICE

1075 Millwood Rd

Toronto, ON M4G 1X6

http://www.infogo.gov.on.ca/paceweb/owa/intergtd_en.disp_detail?EMP_ID=EMP0011713

ATHLETIC COMMISSIONER'S OFFICE

General Inquiry: 416-314-3626

Toll Free: 800-268-6024

Fax: 416-314-3632

Address:

ATHLETIC COMMISSIONER'S OFFICE

1075 Millwood Rd

Toronto, ON M4G 1X6

This is all public information that I was able to track down on the Ontario Governments web site, http://www.gov.on.ca/

As I make progress or get any kind of feedback (good or bad) I'll come back here and post my results. If anyone else (especially people from Ontario) would like to contact Mr. Hayashi about how to legalize MMA in Ontario, please feel free to do so. I only ask that you are kind and respectful in your messages. It won't help any if someone pisses the man off and gets a personal grudge against helping legalizing MMA in Ontario. Remember, information is more powerful than a sword. Lets work together and one day (hopefully soon) MMA in Ontario will be legal.

Fight the system with the system and not against the system

The same thing goes for amateur kickboxing in Ontario; you can fight as a pro but not as an amateur in Ontario - how silly is that? Twin Dragon's website has something on the situation if you are interested. That was a factor in whether or not I would start kickboxing, I'm afraid - I have no interest in travelling to the US and other provinces to get a few amateur fights in when in karate I can compete here.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Twin Dragons are a bunch of snitches, and very disliked in the Muay Thai community, because of them it took amateur Muay Thai a VERY LONG time to get recognized and respected in Ontario, but as of February, amateur Muay Thai is legal in Ontario under CAM-TAO (Canadian Amateur Muay Thai Association of Ontario). It even gives regular kickboxers a chance to fight w/o knees, elbows, clinching but leg kick are legal. With this great step forward it will be only a short time before MMA gets the same recognition and respect it deservers from the provincial government.

I was doing some searching on the http://canada.justice.gc.ca site and I came across this page with a small section on Prize Fights.

I'm assuming that everyone knows Section 83 of the Canadian Criminal Law on Prize Fighting and this law is the reason why MMA (and other arts like boxing, kickboxing, etc.) competitions are illegal here.

http://canada.justice.gc.ca/en/dept/pub/cpa/cpa2000_1.htm, if you scroll down a bit and click the link "Prize Fights", this is what came up.

Prize Fights

The Department of Justice, the Department of Heritage Canada and Sport Canada are examining ways to modernize Section 83 of the Criminal Code. This provision is useful in controlling undesirable combat events, often referred to as blood sports. However, it may be that this provision can be interpreted to extend to circumstances where its application may not be warranted, such as in the case of certain combative sports.

For further information, please contact Carole Théberge at (613) 957-9606.

The same thing is on a PDF document, bottom of page 24. Here is the link to that http://canada.justice.gc.ca/en/dept/pub/cpa/273-42.pdf

I've called Carole and left her a message to get back to me and I've also e-mailed Ken Hayashi this morning, May 29 2003. We'll see if he replies and if Carole calls back.

Wow, this sucks. I was hoping to get into full contact stuff and possibly MMA in a few years.

Does anyone know if full contact kyokushin is legal?

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Here is the actual Canadian Criminal Law (Section 83) on prize fight, just so its here and everyone can read it.

83. (1) Every one who

(a) engages as a principal in a prize fight,

(b) advises, encourages or promotes a prize fight, or

© is present at a prize fight as an aid, second, surgeon, umpire, backer or reporter,

is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Definition of "prize fight"

(2) In this section, "prize fight" means an encounter or fight with fists or hands between two persons who have met for that purpose by previous arrangement made by or for them, but a boxing contest between amateur sportsmen, where the contestants wear boxing gloves of not less than one hundred and forty grams each in mass, or any boxing contest held with the permission or under the authority of an athletic board or commission or similar body established by or under the authority of the legislature of a province for the control of sport within the province, shall be deemed not to be a prize fight.

R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 83; R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 186.