• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Needing advice!!!

My advice is to keep as humble an attitude as possible and do anything you can to avoid being perceived as cocky. Focus on your sensei's teachings and try hard to practise and apply them. You may not be new to karate but you are learning a new way.

Remember what it was like when you were an absolute novice in martial arts an approach everything with that attitude. You will progress faster by putting aside previous experience. Take advice and accept help from your seniors in that style even if you were a higher grade in your other style. Nobody will resent you for it.

Also remind yourself that training and progress are a personal journey. It is futile to look at where others are. All that matters is the struggle against yourself. I can tell you this because I have had to restart karate after gaining my third dan. Lastly discuss your concerns about your situation with your sensei in private and ask him what he thinks. That should get you the best solution.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Imho...

My first concern is that this Sensei said that you "might" be Shodan in a year and a half. I'm of the opinion that that's the unknown of the MA!! No matter how much experience one has, earning rank can't be put on any time table; it's presumptive, and it's not even alright to encourage any student in this manner.

Having said that, being humble, for now seems like the best thing to do, as others have suggested.

One other thing, you might not want to say..."this is how I was taught previously" because, to be honest, while that's important, it's not important. Why? That Sensei knows that already, and to remind him of that, isn't proper dojo etiquette, imho. Remember what you've been previously trained in, but you're on his floor, and you should strive to learn whatever he has to offer until you decide that what he has to offer is no longer of value to you.

Hang in there, learn, and train, and if possible, add what he has to offer by adding it to your own MA betterment!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Definitely you should speak to teacher and be honest, talking to senior students would help too.

I have been in similar situation when I have arrived in the United Kingdom, with only change that I was not interested to grade. I was just to train somewhere, so I have chat to Sensei there and students. For year there was no problems then teacher start to be pushy.

Eventually I was asked to not comeback :)

In my club I prefer that students come and tell me in the face what is going on, then I can do something about it :)

Being humble always helps.

Good luck I hope all going to be ok with time.

Shin ai do - the way of true adaptability,

My blog http://shinaido.wordpress.com/

https://www.shinaidokarate.com

fb - Shinaidomartialarts

Definitely you should speak to teacher and be honest, talking to senior students would help too.

I have been in similar situation when I have arrived in the United Kingdom, with only change that I was not interested to grade. I was just to train somewhere, so I have chat to Sensei there and students. For year there was no problems then teacher start to be pushy.

Eventually I was asked to not comeback :)

In my club I prefer that students come and tell me in the face what is going on, then I can do something about it :)

Being humble always helps.

Good luck I hope all going to be ok with time.

Solid post!!

What I see hard, or what becomes hard, is that some Sensei's don't want to talk about how things are affecting their student body. This is evident in your case by your Sensei becoming pushy, and then you were asked to not comeback.

Like yourself, Sensei's that have that open door policy are excellent CI's all around, both on and off the floor. However, in the midst of the MA, there are those Sensei's who think that they're unapproachable; unaccountable to their student's, and they need to be weeded out, if possible.

Not an easy thing!!

Personally over nearly twenty years in martial arts, I have met only few teachers like that. Most of my friend/teachers are very open to others and relaxed.

Maybe I have luck with people :) or maybe my approach is bringing people like minded to me :)

Btw. can you explain meaning of "CI" as my English is not perfect :)

Google comes up with so many, hope it is not Criminal Intent :D

Shin ai do - the way of true adaptability,

My blog http://shinaido.wordpress.com/

https://www.shinaidokarate.com

fb - Shinaidomartialarts

Personally over nearly twenty years in martial arts, I have met only few teachers like that. Most of my friend/teachers are very open to others and relaxed.

Maybe I have luck with people :) or maybe my approach is bringing people like minded to me :)

I agree!! It's possible that you've been blessed with your surroundings by refusing to associate with those that bring you down in their negativity...I concur wholeheartedly.

I agree with Wastelander. You should talk to the Sensei and I would even go as far as to bring it up to the senior students when you feel more comfortable to them. You're there to learn just as much as they are.

I agree with this. I think that in time, things will shake out, and everyone will come to an understanding.