• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

training per week

Like Zaine has said 70/30 is a good amount. is 2 hours ideal? No. but under a good instructor it is feasible. within the 2 hours you have with your instructor he should be able to correct any bad habits before they become a problem. but with that said, solo training should not be used for material that is new to you. it should be when you are refining the skills you already have a grasp on. one of my biggest pet peeves is doing an excercise with a senior who should know the ins and outs of it but has to stop and remember what needs to be done. Lije with kata, for everytime you practice a new kata you should practice your previous kata three times each. maintain your basics and build upon them

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you do your homework 2hours a week with guidance is not insufficient. For example in my case due to distance from the dojo I get only 2hours per week with my teacher. Outside the dojo I practise at least an hour at least 5 days a week. I'll do it 7 days a week when I can.

Perhaps the better question is how you use the time you have efficiently. I take advantage of dojo time to ask questions and fix bad habits. At my dojo the teacher gives homework. He tells us what to fix and how to fix it so when I can't attend training I know what to do. For new stuff we are expected to pick up whatever we can remember and keep repeating that until ready to add other things. The pace is very slow and everything is devided into parts learned separately. Only at the end is it put together. Kata are introduced litteraly one step at a time.