• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, looks like everyone needs to move to the Netherlands or New Zealand.

I train in two different dojos (6 hours per week) which would cost me about NZ$90 (US$38 ) per month, but a family rate of NZ$72 (US$30) allows every member of a family to train for up to 6 hours a week - great for us and our 2 lads!

A kiss is worth 2 Karate chops - Snoopy

I pay $56 a month, plus $75 once a year for training.

Stripes now cost me $10 a hit (need to get 3 of them to belt test which typically takes about 4 months) and the lower belt tests are $55 each.

All these figures are in Canadian dollars.

So a typical year would cost me about $1000 cdn which works out to about $600 US.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

The fee used to be $35, but now it has been raised to $70. It isnt per month though, its how do you say it? Umms...session? Well its till the exams, then you pay a fee for the exam. The Shihan comes only during that time and gosh do i get really nervous. Its all quiet and everything. And everyone is just watching you. :bawling:

I live in Finland. Here pro dojos are rare. The community (the government and municipalities) support non-profit organizations and about 90% (just my own quick off-the-hat estimate) of all dojos are operated on non-profit principle. That means the costs are very low. That means we don't have McDojos. That means we only have dojos whose teachers are in it because they love doing it without much if any compensation. Like in the old days, you learned the art in the school, now you teach the art as per your membership.

So when I practiced Shorin Ryu, I paid 40 bucks for a year's membership. Now I pay 120 bucks a year at the dojo I go to.

Edited by Pyros

When I first started training in the martial arts I paid something like $35.00 per month plus test fees. Then I went off to college, found a place to train and the instructor only charged me $15 per month (enough to cover renting a gymnasium). Now I pay $75.00 per month at one dojo and a $5.00 "mat fee" at another (plus test fees - but those are far and few between nowadays).

I don't think you can really put a price on good instruction (key word: Good Instruction). I don't like paying a lot of money for lessons but at the same time I'm getting what I pay for.

NidanWarrior

Whoa, been reading all this and it sounds all to expensive!

I charge 25€ a month (+- 25 US$), and students are allowed to trian 3 days a week 4 hours each (they don't have to train the 4 hours).

When my Shihan charged me (he doesn't do it anymore :P :P :P ), I payed 30 € (30 US$) that included National Karate Federation fees, health insurance, transportation to tournaments, etc etc etc.

Also, there are no grading / belt fees. Everyone must buy their own belts, but there are no testing fees.