• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate and aikido together?

Does anyone think that Karate and Aikido are compatible to cross train with eachother? I have 25 years in Karate and my knees are already suffering, I find the mind set relaxing and the attitude refreshing in my new style of Aikido. Does any one think I can train them together?

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't see why you couldn't. I studied Aikido for about a 6 month period while I was doing TKD, and I found spots in techniques where I was thinking to myself, "I could put a kick here, I'd do a strike there." I think they would compliment each other quite nicely.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone think that Karate and Aikido are compatible to cross train with eachother? I have 25 years in Karate and my knees are already suffering, I find the mind set relaxing and the attitude refreshing in my new style of Aikido. Does any one think I can train them together?

you sure can! but if the reason to studying something else is your suffering knees, then I wonder whether aikido is the right thing...

regards robert

I'd agree with all the above, seems to be a good match, each giving more or less what the other lacks (if that makes sence)

I'd do it if I could find an Akido club near me, as it is I might pick up Ju-Jitsu again as my second art to compliment Kyokushinkai...I doubt that i will to be honest, but I'd like to think I might!

LOL!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

I'd agree with all the above, seems to be a good match, each giving more or less what the other lacks (if that makes sense)...

I agree :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

My style is a blend of taekwando and hapkido. Having studied aikido before, I have seen some similar principles being applied. So yeah, I think karate and aikido should supplement each other nicely!

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

• 2 months later...

Somewhat late, but...I studied Aikido to 3rd kyu and now that I study Karate I am often surprised by how many of the central concepts that are similar. Things like: timing, "connecting" with the training partner, breathing, breaking the balance of the opponent etc

Since the attack as uke in Aikido often resembles the basic straight punch in Karate or similar, I think they make a good combination. Main difference I've found is that Aikido focuses on circular movement, while karate mostly focus on linear or at least much more subtle sidestepping.

I believe training both will in the long run benefit your Budo - although the beginner stages might initially become more challenging, due to the risk of mixing techniques, katas etc up. I think of it as a new student of two languages. For starters it will probably be easy to mix words and grammar rules up - but in the long run the student will have the joy of knowing two languages.

:karate:

The path so far: 2 kyu Karate (Shito-ryu), 3 kyu Aikido (Aikikai), 5 kyu Judo, 9 kyu Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

Not a day without a kata

• 1 year later...

Late, like the last poster, but I may have a different insight to share. When I was younger I was 4th kyu Wado and enjoyed sparring and competing in Kumite. However, I wasnt very good at following through with throws when I caught an apponents technique and I felt I was wasting tons of potential points. I went to a local Ikido club, I didnt know much about the art but from demos they looked like they knew their stuff when it came to countering techniques with throws.

When I was warming up Id often practice a few kicks and punches, and everyone looked at me in literal disgust. I was confused, and one week even had a senior pupil approach me while I was warming up and say to me "we dont do that here". I was like 'what the hell is this place??'

When the class began, it was........ weird. 'As attacker' you had to make it as easy for your opponent to perform their counter. Even when you tried your best to be completely stupid and literaly throw yourself for the opponent, and they mess up and fail to grab your wrist (even though you werent moving) theyd be upset with you, for not being easy enough to throw...............

I stayed for 5-6 weeks......... learned nothing, and left.

Hironori Otsuka - Oliver Brunton - me (5th KYU)

Late, like the last poster, but I may have a different insight to share. When I was younger I was 4th kyu Wado and enjoyed sparring and competing in Kumite. However, I wasnt very good at following through with throws when I caught an apponents technique and I felt I was wasting tons of potential points. I went to a local Ikido club, I didnt know much about the art but from demos they looked like they knew their stuff when it came to countering techniques with throws.

When I was warming up Id often practice a few kicks and punches, and everyone looked at me in literal disgust. I was confused, and one week even had a senior pupil approach me while I was warming up and say to me "we dont do that here". I was like 'what the hell is this place??'

When the class began, it was........ weird. 'As attacker' you had to make it as easy for your opponent to perform their counter. Even when you tried your best to be completely stupid and literaly throw yourself for the opponent, and they mess up and fail to grab your wrist (even though you werent moving) theyd be upset with you, for not being easy enough to throw...............

I stayed for 5-6 weeks......... learned nothing, and left.

Like any style, what you get out of it is really dependent on the instructor and his/her philosophy and approach on teaching and learning.

When I briefly attended the Aikido school in my hometown, the sensei there knew that of my TKD experience, and the fact that I would kick and punch as a warmup didn't bother him at all. Likewise, most of the students there knew I was a local TKD guy anyways, so it was never an issue.

As for learning the techniques....the sensei is worked with described it as "giving" or "providing good energy." There is a learning curve that is heavily involved in trying to learn how to receive the techniques and then flow into the throws. I found at times that if I wasn't given "good energy" then I needed to produce some extra of my own, usually by pulling them along to get their momentum going. I think as the practitioner gets better, these things get figured out.

Now, I don't necessarily like this way of learning, and think it definitely has it's problems. But I think once students start to really understand it, they can see the training benefits of it.