• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Used to be a...

To me a stack of black belts would not be worth a speck of dirt unless the person can effectively demonstrate the skills and practises them all on a regular basis. Daily would be preferable. That is already extremely difficult to do with one blackbelt rank in one art. Nevermind 3 in different arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me a stack of black belts would not be worth a speck of dirt unless the person can effectively demonstrate the skills and practises them all on a regular basis. Daily would be preferable. That is already extremely difficult to do with one blackbelt rank in one art. Nevermind 3 in different arts.

I agree with you but want to point out that each of us will age, evolve, refine, and as we grow older our role and value also evolves. I agree that a black belt should be able to demonstrate the skills, at the same time, I think that older practitioners have tremendous value, even if they have difficulty demonstrating a skill they might be great teachers and as such are worthy of their black belt. For instance, I'm a student of Dan Inosanto - who at the ripe old age of 70-ish has difficulty demonstrating certain skills. However, to this day he is one of the greatest teachers I have ever known. He's true black belt indeed.

With that said I know what you meant, I'm simply adding that an ability to teach is as good as an ability to demonstrate skill.

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

Teaching ability only becomes important when a person is interested in doing it. There are always very excellent martial artist who for various reasons do not teach.

My opinion is based on the example of my sensei and others like him who are still able to demonstrate their skills well into their sixties, seventies and onwards. Most admirable is the fact that through sustained training efforts they have found ways to compensate for the natural physical decreases. That to me is the mark of mastery. Some of these martial artists even managed to become able to do things they were unable to accomplish in their younger days.

Again, to me, when I finally become inactive, if I do, then I can say that I use to be a MAist, but I'll always be a BB.

When I stop teaching Shindokan, if I do, then I can say that I use to be a teacher of Shindokan, but I'll always be a BB.

You know, knowledge and experience can never be taken away from me. In that, my BB can never be taken away from me. You can take away my teaching abilities. You can take away my dojo. You can take the Hombu away from me. You can even take my students away. But you can never take my knowledge and experience away from me, and in this, you can never take my BB away. And for those who are Kyu's, THAT knowledge and experience can never be taken away from you either. It's there within you; dormant, but it's there for whenever the rust is removed.

Even in my inactivity, should it ever arise, I will train everyday because it's born within me to do so, and I don't know any other way to act day by day. The old saying that says..."There may be snow on the roof outside, but there's a fire still raging inside"...that shall I be!!

My BB is forever, and as I've said before, there's no expiration date on my BB certificates. Only date found on any of my BB certificates, in one MA, is the date of issuance.

Therefore, I believe that "YOUR" BB is forever, and in that, you'll never be a use to be BB.

Imho.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Again, to me, when I finally become inactive, if I do, then I can say that I use to be a MAist, but I'll always be a BB.

When I stop teaching Shindokan, if I do, then I can say that I use to be a teacher of Shindokan, but I'll always be a BB.

You know, knowledge and experience can never be taken away from me. In that, my BB can never be taken away from me. You can take away my teaching abilities. You can take away my dojo. You can take the Hombu away from me. You can even take my students away. But you can never take my knowledge and experience away from me, and in this, you can never take my BB away. And for those who are Kyu's, THAT knowledge and experience can never be taken away from you either. It's there within you; dormant, but it's there for whenever the rust is removed.

Even in my inactivity, should it ever arise, I will train everyday because it's born within me to do so, and I don't know any other way to act day by day. The old saying that says..."There may be snow on the roof outside, but there's a fire still raging inside"...that shall I be!!

My BB is forever, and as I've said before, there's no expiration date on my BB certificates. Only date found on any of my BB certificates, in one MA, is the date of issuance.

Therefore, I believe that "YOUR" BB is forever, and in that, you'll never be a use to be BB.

Imho.

It's not often that I can say this but I am humbled by your post.

I happen to agree with you but had a moment of "aha!" while reading. You're training along with your lifelong pursuit of being a martial artist is preparing you to fight all of life's battles. You live your life, as do many of us, becoming strong in mind and strong in spirit. And while there may be a day that your unable to perform, or even teach, a spinning back kick for instance, you will face all of life's challenges head on and be better for it because of your training! I understand that this may not be your point exactly, but it's my humble take on reading your post. Thank you !

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

Imho.

It's not often that I can say this but I am humbled by your post.

I happen to agree with you but had a moment of "aha!" while reading. You're training along with your lifelong pursuit of being a martial artist is preparing you to fight all of life's battles. You live your life, as do many of us, becoming strong in mind and strong in spirit. And while there may be a day that your unable to perform, or even teach, a spinning back kick for instance, you will face all of life's challenges head on and be better for it because of your training! I understand that this may not be your point exactly, but it's my humble take on reading your post. Thank you !

You're welcome...and I thank you for your posts, as well.

Many things in my life will fall under the category of "Used to be", but, imho, being a BB will never be one of them.

**Proof is on the floor!!!