• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey guys. I'm interesting in studying BJJ. But there's a problem. When we see those grappling fighters they are usually big, fat, strong and buff. I'm considered as an Ectomorph (slim/lean, not strong). I'm 182 CM and 66 kg. I have very long legs and hands. I have been doing karate and gym for about a year. Now I want to try BJJ.

How can ectomorph win a big buff guys in grappling? Are you ectomorph? Any advices?

Thanks for help.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In my experience ectomorphs, or lanky folks, tend to do very well with BJJ - or as well as anyone else. As a matter of fact I find that the lanky ones can have an easier time applying submissions, like a triangle choke for instance. I have often wished I was a little more ectomorphish :)

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

As bad as this analysis is, a very strong wind up for a golfer at tee-off doesn't mean that the ball will go far. No! How the swing is applied and therefore done, that's what makes up a golf swing.

So, one doesn't have to be strong and all that to apply effective BJJ and the like, imho!!

Btw, great topic!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Your experience with BJJ is clearly not very big. ALL the best in the world are small guys. There are very skilled big guys, but smaller guys rule the sport in terms of being technical and longevity in the art.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

ps1 mentioned being technical, and that's where you want to be. If you can gain sound technique in BJJ, you will do well.

In my limited experiences with grappling, the longer-limbed guys seem to have a bit of an advantage when it comes to setting in submissions. I have shorter, stumpy arms and stumpy legs, so getting my arms around someone is sometimes hard. I don't think being long and lanky will be an issue, honestly.