• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My McDojo Rant!!!

Of course most Dojo's also need a steady turn over of wannabe's who will eventually give up because it's too much hard work, these help pay the rent but you will normally gain a real gem amongst these rocks...

How is this different than the McDojo approach? Honestly, I think the only difference is that in the McDojos, these people tend to stick around longer.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I surely don't want a steady turn over of "wannabes" because if I do have that type of steady turnover, then there's something desperately wrong with me and/or with Shindokan. Turn over ratio, imho, must be less than 2.0% of ones student body; that's acceptable to me as a CI, and for grins and giggles, it's acceptable with my banker as well.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Of course most Dojo's also need a steady turn over of wannabe's who will eventually give up because it's too much hard work, these help pay the rent but you will normally gain a real gem amongst these rocks...

How is this different than the McDojo approach? Honestly, I think the only difference is that in the McDojos, these people tend to stick around longer.

Very true, if I find myself with lots of students without effort I turn up the sweat factor and will lose a few, those that stick around are generally serious. They will always be there but you can't ban them because they haven't shown much interest in the first few lessons.

For my few years of teaching I'm quite proud of my student retention rate, I've only lost a few higher grades but I don't think it was a reflection on myself or my methods.

Very true, if I find myself with lots of students without effort I turn up the sweat factor and will lose a few, those that stick around are generally serious. They will always be there but you can't ban them because they haven't shown much interest in the first few lessons.

For my few years of teaching I'm quite proud of my student retention rate, I've only lost a few higher grades but I don't think it was a reflection on myself or my methods.

I agree. I think letting those students thin themselves out is the way to let it happen. I think eventually, they decide to put more into it and stay, or just go. I think its important, though, to really evaluate what they are putting in, and when they shouldn't be allowed to test any farther. That is the problem with McDojos. They tend to keep testing them.

...... I think its important, though, to really evaluate what they are putting in, and when they shouldn't be allowed to test any farther. That is the problem with McDojos. They tend to keep testing them.

I have some bitter experience of this lately, the first lot of graders were a mixed bunch of good to ridiculous with some only having a few hours in a dojo, the last lot were nowhere near purple or brown belt level but were allowed to pass because they had good spirit... Watching a 2nd kyu miss bits of a kata and still grade was painful, it was more painful to see a once respected Sensei smile and pass them.

...... I think its important, though, to really evaluate what they are putting in, and when they shouldn't be allowed to test any farther. That is the problem with McDojos. They tend to keep testing them.

I have some bitter experience of this lately, the first lot of graders were a mixed bunch of good to ridiculous with some only having a few hours in a dojo, the last lot were nowhere near purple or brown belt level but were allowed to pass because they had good spirit... Watching a 2nd kyu miss bits of a kata and still grade was painful, it was more painful to see a once respected Sensei smile and pass them.

I understand you here. That's on the sensei, and if that is the route he is choosing, there is not much to be done for it. One could ask him about it, but it might not garner much.

I understand you here. That's on the sensei, and if that is the route he is choosing, there is not much to be done for it. One could ask him about it, but it might not garner much.

Integrity during a testing cycle can be a slow and dying race. What was once hopeful and promising, turns into something hopeless and meaningless for the cause of the bottom line. Imho.

I'd rather shut the doors...first and foremost.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!