• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How young is too young?

Welcome!

I don't think hes too young. I believe a good instructor will understand the child's capabilities and keep the child challenged.

Good luck and keep us updated

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started my son in a local Karate Kids club 2 years ago when he was 3 years old. It was basically fitness and co-ordination work. He graded twice using their own Childrens Karate syllabus.

It was good as he was able to measure his progression. He's 5 years old now and graded once with the Adult Syllabus. He could possibly grade again in July. He's ready, but I dont want to rush/push him through the grades. Im not going to be 'that' parent.

I think 5 years is suitable for the main grade stuff. As has already been mentionned, they absorb information like a sponge, the application and power wont be behind the technique, but that can come later.

Wado

I'd say they are ready to start as long as they behave. Mental age is more important than biological age.

Also, the instructor is an extension to the education given at home by the parents. If the parent's fail to educate their child, there's not much an instructor can do in a couple of hours per week.

Parent's failure to educate is the top reason why some children, some even as old as 12, can't start martial arts lessons.

Anyway, read somewhere that there's a japanese tradition that says a child should be introduced to martial arts at age of 5 years, 5 five months and 5 days.

-----------------------------------------------------------

T. Amaro

My martial arts blog: http://martialarts.telmoamaro.com

(martial arts related articles, ebooks and apps)

I'd say they are ready to start as long as they behave. Mental age is more important than biological age.

Also, the instructor is an extension to the education given at home by the parents. If the parent's fail to educate their child, there's not much an instructor can do in a couple of hours per week.

Parent's failure to educate is the top reason why some children, some even as old as 12, can't start martial arts lessons.

This is such a good point, and so true. Its a parent's job to raise their kids, not an instructor's, or even the school's. Structure has to start and be maintained at home, or not many others will be able to help. Sure, there are always stories about how someone is touched by an instructor in their life that helped to change their ways, but by and large, they probably wanted a change, and just didn't know how to seek it out. There are a lot of people out there that don't want to be changed or moulded.

Anyway, read somewhere that there's a japanese tradition that says a child should be introduced to martial arts at age of 5 years, 5 five months and 5 days.

This, I'm not so sure about. I don't think a lot of traditions are necessarily grounded in scientific study. I'd be interested to know how that tradition got started.

Any age below 15 is too young for a regular lesson. If started at a slow pace and with a training time based on the individual child's attention span then about 5 is ok. The thing I don't believe in is putting children in large groups and with a teaching structure identical to what teenagers and adults have.

I base my opinion on history and my experience. About 14-15 is the age when most of the older okinawans started and it goes back to Matsumura Sokon perhaps further. Also kids under 15 are still learning to control their own bodies and too young for serious training. It is better to teach them general movements in small groups.

Any age below 15 is too young for a regular lesson. If started at a slow pace and with a training time based on the individual child's attention span then about 5 is ok. The thing I don't believe in is putting children in large groups and with a teaching structure identical to what teenagers and adults have.
The Shaolin Monks would like to have words with you.

First of all shaolin monks are one of the few exceptions. Just like children who have above average talents or who are born into martial arts family.

Ordinary kids and youth do not have what it takes to endure such strict training regimen. Most societies today make it impossible for a young child to be spending nearly every waking hour training and studying martial arts. The child monks can do what they do because it is nearly ALL they ever do.

Have you ever tried to get a 5 year old to concentrate and practise ANYTHING for longer than a half hour? Without fussing, complaining or crying?! Good luck. Multiply that by a hundred if you are dealing with a group. I also seriously doubt you could keep it up every single day for 6 to 8 hours.

If everyone's father was Bruce Lee and trained them from they day they could walk, then every kid would be a phenomenon by the time they reached 10

A program can start young as long as it takes into account the attributes - - attention span, coordination, etc. - - of that age. For younger kids there needs to be lots of energy and plenty of fun, but even four isn't too young to start to learn that not every aspect of everything you do is fun. Some of it should be, but some of it is more serious (safety issues, respect, etc.), and being firm but including a lot of positive feedback (high fives, etc.) helps kids learn the tougher lessons. Martial arts are a great place to learn a lot of this, and I feel sad at the idea of kids who are young not being allowed in martial arts. However, I definitely agree that the program must be geared to what is a reasonable expectation of the age.

I have a fellow student with whom I discussed teaching young children. His idea for teaching his 4 year old son is to do it this way: kids age (4) times 2 min. So that means 8 minutes of 2 or 3 very basic techniques until the movements are remembered. Keep going at this pace as often as possible until the kid is about 10. Then start him on basic kata but devise them in two of he parts until the entire kata is remembered. At this point a half hour to forty minutes is plenty and minimum three times a week. Make practise into a challenging game with rewards for each improvement you notice even very small ones.

It seems to work because that kid has some of the best punches and kicks I have ever seen a 4 year old do.