• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help For Beginners!!

I agree with Zaine on the difficulty of the two. I don't think one is more difficult than the other. The important thing is to work in good teaching concepts to make it simpler to pick them up.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blocking VS Deflecting!! No matter the label, one label is true, while the other is misleadiing, imho.

Which one are YOU executing at the appropriate moment? Are you blocking said attack? Are you deflecting said attack? Imho, you're doing one or the other; not both!!

Let's look at the definition of each one. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary states...

BLOCKING:

a) the action or process of obstructing movement, progress, or activity, in particular.

b) to impede movement by opponent.

Let's look at the definition of the underlined word above: obstructing...

OBSTRUCTING:

a) to interrupt, hinder, or oppose the passage, progress, course, etc., of.

b) to stop.

DEFLECTING:

a) to bend or turn aside; turn from a true course or straight line; swerve.

b) direct.

What have you gotten from these definitions?

When said attacker attacks you with a measure to do you some serious harm, what do you suppose would be the most tactical and advantageous course for you? To block or to deflect?!?!

Are you actually stopping said attack in its track? I mean, is the fist that's targeting your head right now going to be stopped, per the aforementioned definitions concerning "BLOCKING"?

Sure, they're nothing more than apples are to oranges, when one speaks about either of them; blocking or deflecting. Just as long as either is effective in its means!!

Are you going to STOP a 60 mph kick dead in its tracks? To block, or to stop an attack as it would be so when a car hits the wall head-on at 60 mph. BAM...STOP... Well, we're probably going to need something with more stopping power than one of our arms or whatever other available body part(s). Try to stop, and I mean STOP said attack, I'm harshly increasing the chance of severely injuring myself because of the blunt trauma incurred by my own actions.

To stop an attack is going to have to absorb, thus take on said attack directly and bluntly so that said attack stops any and all forward motion and/or progress. Try to stop said attack, better have some type of a shield to absorb all given energy. If not, then ones going to suffer one way or another!!

But while you're executing said "blocking" drills with your training partner, just HOW are YOU "STOPPING", for example, a reverse punch to your face?? Think about it for a quick second.

Aha...yeah...me too!! My rising forearm block, Age-Uke, is NOT contacting my training partners fist directly, but instead, my FOREARM is!!

Now, what's happening? Did your Age-Uke STOP the attack, dead in its tracks, or did your Age-Uke DEFLECT the attack in an upward direction, therefore, directing the attacking fist in a new path, all via your forearm contacting your training partners forearm's underside??

A DEFLECTION has just occurred!! Nothing was stopped!! Yes, the attempted attack was thwarted and the momentum was halted but that was a mutual compliance by your training partner and yourself.

Imho, no matter the type of technique is used to attack my with, I'll DEFLECT it because I CAN'T STOP IT; I can only redirect it's true course away from me.

Even if a "block" gives the appearance that said attack was stopped, it was in all actuality, just deflected!!

Blocking VS deflecting? Imho, deflecting wins hands down!!

Hopefully, this might shed some meaningful light for those beginners in the MA, no matter the style. One day one will have to answer the best way to address said attack effectively. Knowing how is more than half the battle.

Are you BLOCKING, or are you DEFLECTING??

Your thoughts, train hard, and train well!!

here is a good link to help beginners get an in depth look to "blocking"

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=576

:)

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."