Your Proudest Moment as a Martial Artist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to my Sensei's speech while presenting me with my Shodan black belt. I still watch it some times and still get chills when I hear it!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

In 2005, as 3rd Kyu, I quit training considering the pressures of high school and losing general interest in Karate. In my later teenage years I wanted to begin training again, but my work schedule caused much interference. I managed to attend several classes but was unable to continue because of work. Finally in May 2013, working no later than 5pm during weekdays I was able to return to the dojo full time. Being part of a large organization, they were able to retrieve my records from my previous Sensei, and I was allowed to continue training as 3rd Kyu. Three months later, I achieved rank of 2nd Kyu, won silver in kumite and In team kata at our provincial tournament, and have now achieved rank of 1b Kyu. These are all moments I am proud of, however, to walk through the doors of the dojo and begin my training again after so many years is by far my proudest moment. The only thing that compares is witnessing the growth, and success of my peers and junior belts.

Nothing challenges the spirit of a dojo that grows together.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

In my short time in the martial arts my proudest moment so far is when my sensei promoted me from 8th to 6th kyu without having to grade. Something he's done only one other time in his 45 years of teaching. That was very special for me. Also coming 1st in my first national kata championships has to be up there too. Hopefully many more special moments in the years to come.

M.

Be water, my friend.

Proudest moment?

Too many to pick!!

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Second week of April 1990. I passed the grading for Shodan....2 days after our first child - a daughter was born. Note : I'd been a brown belt since 1982.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Receiving my BJJ black belt from Master Pedro Sauer. It's my 4th black belt, but certainly the hardest one I've ever received.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

June 2006, when I tied a new yellow belt onto the waist of a student in my own school. It still never gets old!

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

There are too many moments to pick one.

But if I must, it's the day I was promoted to instructor.

The journey is never over, but being recognized to have the ability to teach others is a pretty amazing feeling. :)

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

A couple of years ago, I was told that I was mentioned in the local newspaper back home. It turns out that a young karate student from my old dojo had been interviewed because he was a very promising student and active member of the community. They asked him who his role model was, and he said that it was me! I trained with him for a little over a year and, as one of the senior students at the dojo, I taught many of his classes and helped him through techniques and kata on many occasions. I never expected that I would have made such a big impact on him that, several years later, he would say that I was still his role model! I admit that it still gets me a little choked up, but I'm kind of a sap :P. I have to say, I'm VERY proud of him! He's a great young man, and destined for great things!

ETA: I found the article, here (http://www.pjstar.com/x459327375/Tyler-Peifer)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society