• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So...who's created their own style?

Just curious to who's done this, and what was your motivation for doing so?

Or prehapse you take your own spin on a system, and make drastic changes while still retaining the heart and the basics? What did you decide to change, and what did you decide to keep?

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My Sensei created his own style. He didn't start from the ground up, however. He used Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu as a base and added what he thought was necessary. In the end he called it Neshmahat Elohim Yad Reyqa and changed it to a Hebrew based system.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Personally? I've not.

My Soke, founded Shindokan Saitou-ryu in 1950 while he was living in Nanjo, Okinawa.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

No style is perfect and answers all the questions. We all need to mature the style along with ourselves. Some do this be adding or removing, but remaining within the style. Others feel the changes are so great they need to define this as a new style.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

No style is perfect and answers all the questions. We all need to mature the style along with ourselves. Some do this be adding or removing, but remaining within the style. Others feel the changes are so great they need to define this as a new style.

That's probably why Abe Sensei, who use to be with the JKA, highly encourages cross-training; no style is enough.

Destiny is a journey and sometimes the road turns and things fall into place when you least expect it! So it was for me when I embarked on a new path and created a new "system/style" 3 years ago-after much thought and counsel from several of my past instructors who encouraged me to fully embrace shuhari. The decision was not taken lightly and the process has called for thoughtful diligence to preserve the traditions inherent in all the "systems" represented.

The base art is taekwondo (the system I have loved for over 22 years)-presented in traditional form but with some elements of modern training to include an appreciation for the Taeguek forms and their relevance to Olympic style sparring & modern poomsae competition. My background in Shotokan karate (Nidan) binds me to the roots of taekwondo and therefore the older forms are represented as well-to include the Palgwe forms of taekwondo, some older "heirloom" forms, and a few karate forms.

My students also learn the basics of both classical & brazilian jujitsu (with an emphasis on self defense rather than competition) and arnis. These styles and their concepts are blended into & intertwined into every curriculum area resulting in well rounded students who upon reaching shodan are also ranked as a blue belt in jujitsu.

The name of the "style" is Tamashii Ryuu. Tamashii is the purest and most raw expression from deep within the soul or spirit, having no mental or physical past or future thought or preparation behind it. It is an open and honest expression of the ‘here and now’; Ryuu is the Dragon. Therefore Tamashii Ryuu is "the expression of the soul/essense of the Dragon within the moment at hand".

It is a style still in evolution-years in preparation but only 3 years in implementation at this point. The journey continues!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

My sensei trained in Okinawa as a Marine in Shorin Ryu, Goju Ryu, and some Kung Fu. When he moved back to the US, he trained in Shotokan with master Okazaki. He started teaching a combination of those arts by starting a self defense school, and it evolved into his own system based on all of those arts. He is able to teach different students based on their physical attributes.

When I started training with him, I had a couple of years of Shotokan training. So he focused on bringing me back to those roots. When I was back on my feet, he began introducing me to the other styles. Thankfully, most styles were similar. Most of the katas I had to learn had a lot of the same movements with slight variations. When I went to test for Shodan, he gave me a choice- I could either test for Shodan in Shotakan, Shodan in Shorin Ryu, or Shodan in Sen Sha Do Karate Do- which by virtue is a Shodan in both systems. I had to perform all katas that a Shodan would perform in each system plus 5 katas specific to his own style.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

Those here who've created a style of the MA, congrats, it's a bold step to take, but a important step, so...

Is you're style under the umbrella of any governing body?

If not...

Did you also find your own governing body?

Having your own style, what challenges, if any, have you faced in general as well as with obtaining students?

I ask because a lot of customers/students tend to migrate to more "solid" styles of the MA. A hurdle, no matter how small or large, is still a hurdle, nonetheless.

Are there anymore styles to create? I kinda feel like their is nothing new under the sun. But like the thought of cross pollination of different styles.

Universal kempo karate association

Are there anymore styles to create? I kinda feel like their is nothing new under the sun. But like the thought of cross pollination of different styles.

That's what i'm wondering and thinking. I had the idea of one day potentially teaching my own system, but idk if I could call it my own style. I feel like I can create an effective system, which more or less would just be modification of stuff I'm already learning and how to apply it.

It just seems like when most people create their own style, they're just cherry picking moves and certain technique, and the end result (again, this is from my experience), they're teaching a bunch moves, but no real "style" or structure to their system.

I do find it fascinating when someone does create a their own style, cause like, what new do they bring to the table? What can they offer then most other systems don't.

Most, if not all martial arts borrow from each other on some level. Look at kyokushin, its a relatively young style, and it was a game changer, so the idea that someone can make something truly effective is very possible, but it's just a matter if someone is doing it for the right reasons.

Per Aspera Ad Astra