• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Got back to training after 7 years

eloylb

Hello,

Today, I gathered all my will power, moved my meetings, emptied my schedule and reserved 2 hours to get back to Shotokan training.

I left training in 2008 and ever since, I wanted to get back and train. But the things of life, along with a country change, marriage, kids, multiple relocation and job changes prevented me form getting back to Karate.

I was seriously thinking about this for many months now and I visited 3 schools. I finally chose the school that best fit my schedule, so now I train on the lunch hour!

I can tell you that this 1st training was very good, after all, I don't seem to have lost the techniques and I remembered the Katas after 2 or 3 repetitions (I cheated a little bit and practiced the 1st 3 Heian Katas with the help of youtube a week earlier with my kids, it was really fun).

The training wasn't too hard because it's only 1 hour long, but I felt a little bit rusty and out of breath after few kihons.

Anyways, I wanted to share this with you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's a lot of things going on... "Life happens", as they say... All you can do is make time where you can to train. :)

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Congrats on getting back in the dojo! It's one of the hardest things to do as life always seems to get in the way for people.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Glad that you returned to the MA. 7 years away can be considered a life time, but it's not really. However, you made the conscious decision to return, and that's what's important, imho. It's now for the old adages that says..."Get back on the horse", and, "Better late than never", and you've done just that.

Feels good, huh?!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Glad that you returned to the MA. 7 years away can be considered a life time, but it's not really. However, you made the conscious decision to return, and that's what's important, imho. It's now for the old adages that says..."Get back on the horse", and, "Better late than never", and you've done just that.

Feels good, huh?!

:)

Yes, it feels great.

Welcome back! You'll find a lot of us took breaks of varying lengths in our training at some point. Such is life. I myself took about a 12 year break. It all eventually comes back to you and then you begin to build again. Just take your time and try not compare yourself to others in the class while you're still remembering. Your journey's been a little different than theirs, but you'll get back up there quickly.