• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello from the Blind Martial Artist.

Welcome to the forum Mark :)

I have a very strong history of diabetes in my family. My grandmother developed it in her teens and over the years slowly went blind until it effectively made her entirely dependant on others for care. Watching her go through that has made me appreciate my sight so much more and my worst nightmare would be to lose mine.

What I'm trying to say (badly!) is that it is inspirational that someone such as yourself has still been able to train.

If you don't mind answering, why did you pick Karate as your chosen discipline? With a background in Judo anyway wouldn't a grappling style have been a more natural choice? Especially given that a lot of BJJ/Judo/wrestling can be based upon touch?

Thank you to you all for your welcome,, sorry its took a few days to get back here.

The main reason I choose karate after going blind was quite simple. At the time I was in a very dark place, no pun intended lol but after just loosing my site, having to quit my job as a chief and suffering other health problems too, I was pretty much isolated and down for a while. Some door to door 'come and join karate' canvasses happened to call at my door asking if anybody in the house would be interested and I said yes me but I am blind so I cant. They said it wouldn't make a 'blind' bit of difference so I took them up on it. 8 years later I got my Shodan and never 'looked' back since,, too many puns here sorry ;-)) but yeah thats my karate story.

Also I don't have any preference on whether the style is 'close' quarter grappling touch related bjj judo etc or more distant striking arts like karate etc i love both and aim to do every aspect of the art that a sighted person would including sparing, kumite etc.

thanks for welcome again people 8-))

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I don't have any preference on whether the style is 'close' quarter grappling touch related bjj judo etc or more distant striking arts like karate etc i love both and aim to do every aspect of the art that a sighted person would including sparing, kumite etc.

Awesome! And welcome to KF!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Hello and welcome to the forum. Impressive achievement as well - keep up the good worke

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Thanks for the answer :)

How does your kumite factor into your training? I'd imagine you have to make some adjustments here and there.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

How does your kumite factor into your training? I'd imagine you have to make some adjustments here and there.

Hello DWX.

I love kumite,, I have to go very steady now after just having the kidney transplant but prior to that I would do kumite just like any other student. I didn't feel I really had to adapt but I did have to learn control at first. Lucky for me I picked up the control quite easy and despite zero sight I can still block a fair amount of inbound strikes. obviously I still can feel vulnerable if its too noisy or if Im not concentrating to my best haha. I tell anybody who spars me to treat me as sighted and do what ever you normally would do,,because if I can get them, i will, so show no mercy both ways lol,, I have a few videos on my channel of me either sparing with my PT and blocking, also some kumite footage from my Shodan grading. I will try to post them here if anybody is interested in watching..

and..

Blind vs Blindfold Sparing

and...

ossu and bonsai ;-))

Hello DWX.

I love kumite,, I have to go very steady now after just having the kidney transplant but prior to that I would do kumite just like any other student. I didn't feel I really had to adapt but I did have to learn control at first. Lucky for me I picked up the control quite easy and despite zero sight I can still block a fair amount of inbound strikes. obviously I still can feel vulnerable if its too noisy or if Im not concentrating to my best haha. I tell anybody who spars me to treat me as sighted and do what ever you normally would do,,because if I can get them, i will, so show no mercy both ways lol,, I have a few videos on my channel of me either sparing with my PT and blocking, also some kumite footage from my Shodan grading. I will try to post them here if anybody is interested in watching..

and..

Blind vs Blindfold Sparing

and...

ossu and bonsai ;-))

That is incredible. Do you have 100 % vision loss or do you have partial vision? In the latter part of her life my grandmother was technically blind but could just make out large (body) shapes if the colour contrasted enough with the surroundings.

Sorry for all the questions but your journey is interesting :)

How did you learn the techniques? I think most of us rely heavily on visual demonstration and explanation and I can't even begin to imagine how you teach a roundhouse form start to finish without the student looking and seeing. Must have been quite the challenge for your instructor.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

100% totally blind.

Was having laser surgery while becoming partially blind through bad diabetes management which was partially my own fault by not looking after myself as a teen, doing all the wrong things haha, but in the operation I had they hit the optical nerve which left me completely blind. That was in 2002 and I started karate training a year or so after becoming blind.

also I don't mind answering any questions about myself or my martial arts journey,, I enjoy answering so don't be sorry or afraid to ask,, obviously training me would have been somewhat different compared to normal students but credit to my senseis and my PT who have all helped me along the way, and now it is me who does the teaching,, I am an instructor and senpai at my local class and also host the martial arts instructional videos I have on my youtube channel and website.

bonsai ;-)