• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Is The DIFFERENCE?

I certainly expect said higher ranks to show a much more marked improvement than their previous higher ranks. Otherwise, the polish is dulled, and pitted, therefore, unacceptable.

I've enjoyed thus far everyone's post; solid!! Thank you, all!!

As it's been spoken about here, at the higher ranks, there's nothing truly new to learn in the three K's; just a regurgitating that's more refined. Paths are shortened during Tuite, for example. What took me at Nanadan to execute, which was much cleaner than Rokudan, was much more direct and crisper and sharper. Albeit, at Hachidan, the path was even more refined and shorter to the target, than what it was at Nanadan.

What will Kudan be like for me in this regard? Hard to tell because I've just earned Kudan last year, and Dai-Soke's been gone for 4 years, this year, and when he passed away, the bottom fell out of what might've been in my learning and training. Having to depend on fellow high ranks within the Shindokan circle can only take me so far without Dai-Soke's guidance. We as a group can only go so far without him on the floor; the rest might just be a guess, at the best.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There is a documentary film, I believe called "Haichidan" about several men testing for 8th Dan in Kendo in Japan. Its fascinating to watch. Many of those testing had failed this test repeatedly. It seems the testing judges were looking for a certain "something" from those testing. A very few had "it," while most don't. They will try again at the next exam.

Sensei8, I don't know if this is the kind of thing you're expecting or wondering about in an upper Dan exam. But it's what I thought about when I read your OP.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

There is a documentary film, I believe called "Haichidan" about several men testing for 8th Dan in Kendo in Japan. Its fascinating to watch. Many of those testing had failed this test repeatedly. It seems the testing judges were looking for a certain "something" from those testing. A very few had "it," while most don't. They will try again at the next exam.

Sensei8, I don't know if this is the kind of thing you're expecting or wondering about in an upper Dan exam. But it's what I thought about when I read your OP.

I've seen said video; solid!! I smiled watching it because I felt for them; I've been there, many, many times myself.

And yes, that's what I'm/Hombu is expecting from all ranks, and even more so in the upper Dan ranks. I've failed my share over the years; Dai-Soke was a taskmaster with no ambiguity whatsoever!! Some of my fails happened to me before the exam wasn't even close to being half way completed!! "YAME...SIT DOWN!!" Not a good feeling.

I've seen said video; solid!! I smiled watching it because I felt for them; I've been there, many, many times myself.

And yes, that's what I'm/Hombu is expecting from all ranks, and even more so in the upper Dan ranks. I've failed my share over the years; Dai-Soke was a taskmaster with no ambiguity whatsoever!! Some of my fails happened to me before the exam wasn't even close to being half way completed!! "YAME...SIT DOWN!!" Not a good feeling.

My thought is as long as expectations of what "it" is, then the goal can be achieved. If it's left as a nebulous thing than no one can. While it wasn't defined in the film, the hachidan candidates seemed to know what it was they were trying to accomplish. I was under a master once who was always vague as a way of showing his dominance & control over students. I don't mind the bar being set high. In fact, I welcome it. But unless one can see the bar, it's a sad game & a power trip.

I applaud & encourage your continued striving toward the mark, sir.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

My thought is as long as expectations of what "it" is, then the goal can be achieved. If it's left as a nebulous thing than no one can. While it wasn't defined in the film, the hachidan candidates seemed to know what it was they were trying to accomplish. I was under a master once who was always vague as a way of showing his dominance & control over students. I don't mind the bar being set high. In fact, I welcome it. But unless one can see the bar, it's a sad game & a power trip.

I applaud & encourage your continued striving toward the mark, sir.

Very solid post!!

To the bold type above...

I wholeheartedly agree!! That's not our Hombu and it's not me either!! The bar is the welcomed challenge.

Thank you for your kind words. The mark will never be reached because I'm fallible by nature, but it's great to strive for it daily.