• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I understand how you feel, some of my friends train in 3 styles now; I feel they should concentrate on one and do it right. But that's only my opinion.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand how you feel, some of my friends train in 3 styles now; I feel they should concentrate on one and do it right. But that's only my opinion.
Agreed! Focus on one at a time if the system is new!

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I've had the same issue, I started of doing Thai boxing, and then picked up shotokan. My biggest issue at first was trying to fuse too much, too soon, while not having a full understanding of karate techniques.

Some techniques you'll find work well in kickboxing, some not so much, but would also instead work in MMA (if that sorta thing interest you)

I personally feel you can get a lot out of karate, but just keep in mind not everything is going to translate into each other, and to keep and open mind...and personally, if you enjoy it, i'd stick with it for kicks and giggles.

How long have you been doing karate? If you're really passionate about the kickboxing, then maybe you might want to put Karate to the side to focus on that, but ultimately it comes from what you want to get out of it.

I've been doing karate for about four years now. I've been kickboxing for about six months, though due to time constraints on training I'm still embarrassingly bad at it, same for BJJ, and I've hardly progressed in shotokan since coming back from a one year break I took a year ago. The reason I'm considering dropping karate rather than kickboxing is mostly due to the locations. kickboxing is at the same place as BJJ, a ten minute walk from where I live, and I can get very frequent training very cheap. It takes longer to get to karate, even though I go by bike, and the training isn't frequent enough to fit my schedule .

Out of interest, which elements (specific to shotokan karate) do you think would incorporate well into MMA? I always thought the moving aside, grabbing and removing of your opponent's guard might go well. I haven't sparred MMA in ages though.

I've had the same issue, I started of doing Thai boxing, and then picked up shotokan. My biggest issue at first was trying to fuse too much, too soon, while not having a full understanding of karate techniques.

Some techniques you'll find work well in kickboxing, some not so much, but would also instead work in MMA (if that sorta thing interest you)

I personally feel you can get a lot out of karate, but just keep in mind not everything is going to translate into each other, and to keep and open mind...and personally, if you enjoy it, i'd stick with it for kicks and giggles.

How long have you been doing karate? If you're really passionate about the kickboxing, then maybe you might want to put Karate to the side to focus on that, but ultimately it comes from what you want to get out of it.

I've been doing karate for about four years now. I've been kickboxing for about six months, though due to time constraints on training I'm still embarrassingly bad at it, same for BJJ, and I've hardly progressed in shotokan since coming back from a one year break I took a year ago. The reason I'm considering dropping karate rather than kickboxing is mostly due to the locations. kickboxing is at the same place as BJJ, a ten minute walk from where I live, and I can get very frequent training very cheap. It takes longer to get to karate, even though I go by bike, and the training isn't frequent enough to fit my schedule .

Out of interest, which elements (specific to shotokan karate) do you think would incorporate well into MMA? I always thought the moving aside, grabbing and removing of your opponent's guard might go well. I haven't sparred MMA in ages though.

the hand techniques, like you said. redirecting my opponents hand and counter attacking. it's also opened my mind to different striking combinations.

Per Aspera Ad Astra

I am training in shotokan karate and out sensei also has kick boxing class. For me karate works well in kick boxing. Only thing I have problem with is kicking with my shin, I cant get the distance right.

A style is just a name.

As much fun as it is to train, train, train, sometimes, less is more. It will be a tough decision, but in the end, it may work out better for you. And who knows, maybe in the future, one of the others will need to fade out, and something else will shade in.

Most karate would work in MMA, surely!

Take a look at the kata, there are goldmines of techniques in there.

I wouldn't want to lunge at a pro MMA guy with an Oi-tsuki, but I might be tempted by the odd bit of jion if I'm being grabbed.

Nidan - Shotokan Karate

Mukyu- Akikai Aikido

Karate does work in MMA. Look at fighters like Lyoto Machida. He's a Shotokan guy. And there was another Karate fighter (featherweight) this weekend that dominated some guy. It works because it was designed to work! However, MMA has rules. A lot of the techniques in katas are not designed to be used in a sport. They take points off for groing kicks and eye gouges! Hell, if I'm being attacked on the street, these are 2 things that I'm probably using first.

IMO, the best combo of MA's for MMA would be Karate and submission wrestling.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

IMO, the best combo of MA's for MMA would be Karate and submission wrestling.

If that were the case, I think you'd see more gyms that produce fighters using them in their training. The combo of Muay Thai, Wrestling, and BJJ has pretty much won just about everyone over as far as MMA training goes. Not that it wouldn't be a good combo, and not that every fighter will fit into that mold. There are always a few outliers that will keep this conversation going.