• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt color gives you power?

Iskrax

To me, belt signifies rank and knowledge. We are ALL white belts, even your Sensei is still learning.

There is no 'better' or 'power' this is a misconception with the ignorant masses who believe being a black belt is the best.

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
When you are high ranked karate and you stand in front of white belt what do you think?

Simply, I think that it's awesome that some one else wants to begin their journey with Martial Arts, and that I should do everything I can to help them.

Do you think like he's white belt he probably bad ot something like this?

No one is great when they start out. That goes for everybody. It's part of my job as a higher ranking student to help them get better.

Or you think like belt is only thing which holds yours pants?

The thing that separates a white belt from a black belt is knowledge and time. I have seen new students who are prolifically talented and I have seen black belts who can't throw a proper punch. A belt signifies, to me, what is expected of a student, whether it be attitude or technique.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

For me a belt is basically the introductory benefit of the doubt that I will give someone after considering that I want to learn from them.

The real power is respect that is earned over time.

Every dojo has a door that renders that belt powerless. If said power is abused... walk through that door and those shackles drop to the floor.

My senseis belt is a sign of his knowledge, the sign of the path he took, not his military rank.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

When I am standing next to a white belt I usually find myself looking at them with a hopeful eye- I like to see how hard they are concentrating and how hard they are trying. If I can see that they're working really hard, then it fills me with an enormous amount of sheer joy, because it means that someone else is taking this journey seriously. And similarly, if I happen to teach, I feel the same sort of joy when people get a hang of things and start to understand them. Never for a moment do I find myself in contempt of their abilities.

I wouldn't think that they are 'bad' - I simply don't see training in those terms. There are always things to improve and work on. Their belt, as has been said, I use mostly as a measure of what kata they probably know. I can immediately tell what their sort of ability is by their stance and technique, and I think it's a better descriptor than their belt.

The only time I'd think that "this person is not on my level" is if I were in a kumite with them. I'd use their grade to my advantage- I'd take for granted that I could be more aggressive with a lower grade because they would probably not have the clarity of mind or reaction times that a higher grade would have. But I've been wrong about that kind of thing before and had to learn the hard way!

Nidan - Shotokan Karate

Mukyu- Akikai Aikido

For me the belt is plain and simply just a color. I don't think one should be judged by the color of the belt. I am Black belt 1st Dan at my local karate school I attend and I treat all students with the same amount of respect and dignity regardless of the belt. Also, belt color is suppose to represent skill level and knowledge, I don't believe this is the case either. For example, I have come across quite a few high ranked belts who's karate still seems at a very poor level, just the same as I have known white belt students who are instantly worthy of a higher grade. Some clubs grade their students for financial incentives rather than skill or quality of karate which again allows some people to be graded who I regard myself as not ready yet, but its money that makes the world go round and most karate schools are ran as a business so what should one expect really.

I am completely blind and I have a training partner who I employ to work with me as an assistant and personal trainer called Robert, when he was young teen he earned his black belt in Wada Ryu but no longer considers himself a black belt or any other color belt simply because he is no longer associated with that karate club. He is still very knowledgeable in karate but refuses to 'grade' with his current club because of the politics, meaning he is a potential shodan student despite wearing his white belt for many years lol,, that's just my example of how insignificant a belt color actually is. I think karate should always be about the person, how he conducts himself and how he works on his own skill and totally not about what color belt you are wearing.

Obviously this is just my view, most people still want to achieve the highest belt color they can and thats fine, but I would rather be a true karate-ka white belt than a half baked uninterested ego driven black belt any day of the week.

Or you think like belt is only thing which holds yours pants?

Gi's have drawstrings or elastic waistbands, now a days. I've never thought that the belt was a way of holding up ones pants, never. A quick look at any belt tells me what level of experience said student is. Now, I can proceed forward in teaching said student what's appropriate for that rank.

I also agree with the whole post, but I think this is especially important. I'm only a yellow belt, but I never get the impression I'm being looked down upon by higher ranks. It helps with safety to know who is less experienced. It helps with learning for sure - - if I am shown something way too advanced and quickly for my experience level I won't get much out of it at all. But the impression I always get from higher-ranking people at my dojo is completely positive - encouragement and praise for the ability I have been able to reach for my rank, etc. But also, I don't feel they take it too easy on me - I still feel challenged, which is good. But mostly there really isn't a lot of focus on rank. It's a group of people enjoying learning a common interest together, helping each other.

I'm not easily intimidated by someone so I'm not insecure when practicing with a higher ranking martial artist. I kinda see the senior as a mentor and a person who I am aspiring to be.

Universal kempo karate association