• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Difference between karateand karate do

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is my understanding of the terms:

Karate: Translated from Japanese means the "Way of the empty hand", before that it meant "Chinese hand" or "Tang hand" but was changed to gain acceptance in Japan.

Karate-do: Is the "path to self-knowledge" or self-development

Karate-jutsu: Is the "Science" or "Method" of karate

Karate-ka: One who practices karate

In my opinion, when one practices "Karate" should be both "Do" and "Jutsu" and stay away from the awful debate that keeps on going round of Do vs Jutsu which just (in the end) gives a negative view on both sides of the same coin :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

This is my understanding of the terms:

Karate: Translated from Japanese means the "Way of the empty hand", before that it meant "Chinese hand" or "Tang hand" but was changed to gain acceptance in Japan.

Karate-do: Is the "path to self-knowledge" or self-development

Karate-jutsu: Is the "Science" or "Method" of karate

Karate-ka: One who practices karate

In my opinion, when one practices "Karate" should be both "Do" and "Jutsu" and stay away from the awful debate that keeps on going round of Do vs Jutsu which just (in the end) gives a negative view on both sides of the same coin :)

I'm no expert, but I've heard "karate" translated as "empty hand" but not as "way of empty hand". "Do" is "path" or "way", so that makes "karate-do" closer to "way of empty hand".

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

I think that most Karate is Karate-do. Some choose to use it on the end, and some don't. "Do" tends to put the emphasis on the "way of life" aspect that many attribute to practicing the Eastern Martial Arts, hence why some choose to emphasize it.

Karate-do is about attitude. Either one does "karate" to just do it, or one does "karate" as a way of life!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!