• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello.

MrNice

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi There, Welcome to the forums.

There seem to be two main ways to tie your belt, halfing it in front, then folding it round crossing at the back.

Personally, I start off with about a 12in length on the right hand side and wrap it around twice before tieing at the front.

Hope you enjoy Wado Ryu, I'm almost two years into it and loving it.

Wado

My belt doesn't have a label, so it doesn't matter which way I tie mine on, but I think most people try to put the label on the right. These days I tie my belt this way:

http://www.karatebyjesse.com/how-to-tie-karate-belt-correctly/

We don't subscribe to the philosophical reasons that Jesse describes in that article, but that is the process that my Sensei and I use when tying our belts, and that's how we teach new student to do it. That said, I used to do a "full overlap" so you couldn't see the belt cross over itself in the back. I also learned a "lock-down knot" for the belt in judo, but stopped using it some time ago.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Well, I'm a yellow belt and have been doing it for a couple of months, just curious how other people tie their belts haha.

Thanks for the reactions. I'm doing the "advanced method" so there's basically no cross, it looks like you only put it around your body once.

Another question: When I've tied my belt, it's not like a straight line on the right side on my knot, is this normal? If not, how should I improve it.

Again, thanks for the reactions.

Welcome to KF. :karate:

Have you spoke with your instructor about tying your belt properly? I would be willing to bet that he can show you how he wants it done.

Here's a good video with a few methods. Try them out and see what you like best. Of course, make sure it's acceptable to your instructor:

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Dai-Soke taught me how to tie my belt a long, long, long, long, time ago but he never gave the knot a name. He just said..."There you go. Go line up!!" I've been tying it that way ever since.

I didn't know there was another way to tie the darn thing. Hhhmmmm!?! What will they think of next?

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!