• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self protection

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First, a weapon is meant to harm, otherwise it is not a weapon. Second, Australia has pretty restrictive laws, so look into them.

Anyway, a crowbar makes a good less-lethal tool as long as you avoid head strikes. It's solid and heavy enough to do damage and the hook is good for weapon retention. Again, check local laws.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

IMHO, I'm not sure if any of the traditional kobudo weapons are practical for modern day carry. Maybe the tonfa (side-handled police night sticks; LEOs, do they still issue these, or has the tactical baton completely replaced them? :-?)

We train in traditional kobudo weapons because they conceptually add to our karate, and because they're fun/cool, but I can't imagine myself actually carrying around a bo, sai, nunchaku, etc for personal protection. In that case, I prefer the art of gunfu (or gundo...) :P

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Learning how to properly deploy and use a gun and knife is invaluable. These can be concealed, as long as it is legal to do so where you live.

Carrying a club is likely to be frowned upon, so may not be a good idea. A cane would be an ideal substitute.

First, a weapon is meant to harm, otherwise it is not a weapon.

Agreed. If you're using a weapon generally I think that the intention is to hurt the opponent.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Agreed. If you're using a weapon generally I think that the intention is to hurt the opponent.

A weapon has the ability to hurt the opponent, albeit, the wielder of said weapon is where the intention lies, and not in any weapon!!

Imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

A weapon has the ability to hurt the opponent, albeit, the wielder of said weapon is where the intention lies, and not in any weapon!!

Imho!!

:)

All true. To use one of tallgeese's terms, a weapon is a force multiplier, and should be used as such. A weapon that doesn't much hurt the opponent is of little use, like a pillow fight. If you don't want to hurt an opponent, then avoid the confrontation altogether.

• 11 months later...
A cane would be an ideal substitute.

AGREED! I have a rattan cane that I used because it's thick (about an inch), tougher than wood, lightweight and totally leagal to carry anywhere in the world, even on air planes!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I've trained in Kubotan/Yawara and found it can be effective. But you must review your local & federal laws before carrying one.

To be honest you won't like my preferred answer: my brain. Its the best tool we all have to recognize and avoid dangerous places & situations. It even helps me run away.

:karate:

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

If I did any weapons training I would focus on things commonly found anywhere. Sticks or stick-like objects can be found anywhere whether in rural or urban environments and they can be easily discarded. Pens, pencils are another example of objects that can be used as a defensive weapon. There really is no need to carry a weapon if one is confident in one's judgement, defense skills and knowledge of the potential of everyday objects.

With a weapon, sooner or later the question of motives will arise. Who has ever heard of someone being asked to justify carrying a pen, a pencil or other items of everyday use?

At the end of the day, judgement is the best defense and prevention against finding oneself in such an extreme situation that would require a weapon of any sort.