• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What was the hardest hyung in Tang Soo Do for you

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To be honest, for me it's the Chil Sung forms. Simply because coming from a Shotokan background, these were new to me - both the forms and the "feel" of the forms.

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

Not a TSD guy, but as a TKD guy, the toughest pre-black belt forms I have done have been red belt form in the ATA, with the tough repeat kicking and some spin kicking, and of the Chang On forms I do, Choong Moo, with the jumping and spinning, the flying kick, and the foot work.

• 3 months later...

pyung ahn ee dan for me. the second of the pyung ahn forms was hardest for me and still requires more concentration because it introduces reverse techniques, such as steping with left foot but blocking simultaneously with right outward block.

Edited by Luther unleashed

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

• 1 month later...

Believe it or not, the basic forms are exhausting and difficult for me.

In our style of Tang Soo Do, which is Americanized and non-traditional (its the Chuck Norris System), we have Sang Gup or advanced versions of the basic forms.

So Ki Cho Hyung Il Bu Sang Gup adds a stepping front kick before each center punch.

Ki Cho Hyung Yi Bu "Sang Gup" adds a stepping front kick before each high punch on the corners, and reverse punches after each block down the center (which has been changed to low-inside-high-outside blocks).

When I do these, they are EXHAUSTING. I dislike them. The timing of landing that punch after the kick is a pain in the rear. The quick shifting from back to forward stances down the center is a pain in the rear. Plus, to boot, they're a little boring, so it's hard to get inspired to do them the 9000th time.

I honestly found the advanced forms easier because they weren't made up in the past few decades by Americans. I love the flow of the older, more traditional forms - theyre interesting and dynamic and my body just likes the feel of them better.

So yeah. Basic form number two advanced is the hardest for me still today, and I've been doing this for 30 years. Give me Kong Sang Koon any old day.

KY :wink:

If you practice weak, you become weak. If you practice strong, you become strong.

As a Kukki-TKD guy, the most difficult ones for me are Tae Guek Yuk Jang & Pal Gwe Pal Jang. They're also my favorite gup rank poomsae.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• 2 weeks later...
I did the Chang Hon forms in TKD, and of those I'd say Toi Gye and Chung Mu at the colored belt level and Moon Moo and Juche at the black belt level.

Unfortunately, these are both forms left out of my style. :(