• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

would you do powerful or speedy strikes if in a real fight

Just curious peoples opinions on how they would fight if attacked on the street. So your somewhere on the street someone swings at you. You get in a defensive stance and start to decide what to use or instinct but either way would u do the quick speedy strikes at your opponents jabs quick rights or would u throw some of those heavy massive damage moves like super powered full force karate punch push kick knee or elbow to the face. How would you fight in a real fight speedy quick and evasive or all out full force penetrative power moves just looking for peoples personal opinions

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would run.

If not able to escape then I would see what the situation demanded, try to calm it down and walk away, maybe take a couple of strikes and make it obvious I wasn't interested.

If no other options and the fists are still flying then again my response would be on the opponent or opponents, if I felt really endangered then my response would be quick, hard, fast and deadly. Maybe not the standard kick and punch as a lot of Karate is aimed as soft or vulnerable areas.

I've just been learning a new kata that includes a jumping head twist which I think would be ideal....

If you get attacked on the street there is no time to get into a stance.

Most people just don't get ambushed. There's usually some type of warning or confrontation. Think "monkey dance" as described by self defense expert Roy Miller (you can find his books on Amazon).

In those instances, like been mentioned before, run. If you can't then strong, fast strikes.

That's where strong proper training comes in. You shouldn't have to think about it. It should instinctive.

Tony

If you get attacked on the street there is no time to get into a stance.

Most people just don't get ambushed. There's usually some type of warning or confrontation. Think "monkey dance" as described by self defense expert Roy Miller (you can find his books on Amazon).

In those instances, like been mentioned before, run. If you can't then strong, fast strikes.

That's where strong proper training comes in. You shouldn't have to think about it. It should instinctive.

This is accurate. And Millers works are very good. You will do what you've trained to do IF you've trained properly. And with a lot of ma-ist that's a big if. Principle and concept have to be understood at their core. Tactics must be real world and trained under pressure.

You can write books about proper training methodology and better people than I have. Check them out. Paul Howe's "Tactical Trainer" is a must have primer on developing training plans for outcome based goals. It's not a am book but it's lessons work across the board.

It doesn't really make sense, to me, to strike quickly without power, or powerfully without speed. As with all things, there must be balance. When it comes to a self defense situation, though, I pretty much just have to go with how my body reacts, and with the openings my attacker gives me.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

It doesn't really make sense, to me, to strike quickly without power, or powerfully without speed. As with all things, there must be balance. When it comes to a self defense situation, though, I pretty much just have to go with how my body reacts, and with the openings my attacker gives me.

I agree with you. I think attacks and techniques should be done fast as a rule. In training any technique, train it slow and smooth in the beginning, and as reps come, it should speed up. Slow and smooth, smooth is faster. But, I don't think one should punch slow as opposed to fast. If you have to start striking, you should be fully committed to ending the encounter with one strike, after another, after another, after another...

You will do what you've trained to do IF you've trained properly. And with a lot of ma-ist that's a big if. Principle and concept have to be understood at their core. Tactics must be real world and trained under pressure.

I try to keep this in mind as I approach my training anymore. I want everything to be where it needs to be when it comes time to use the weapons.

If I had no option but to fight, then I'd first strike with a fast jab to the face mererly as a distraction. While they're reacting to the jab I'd then move with the more powerful technique, whether that's a reverse punch or a kick to the knee to shut them down.

I'd prefer not to be in the situation at all, but if needs must, then that'd be my course of action. Hopefully it'd work sufficiently for me to make my exit. :D

M.

Be water, my friend.

Just curious peoples opinions on how they would fight if attacked on the street. So your somewhere on the street someone swings at you. You get in a defensive stance and start to decide what to use or instinct but either way would u do the quick speedy strikes at your opponents jabs quick rights or would u throw some of those heavy massive damage moves like super powered full force karate punch push kick knee or elbow to the face. How would you fight in a real fight speedy quick and evasive or all out full force penetrative power moves just looking for peoples personal opinions

I will just try to use super powered full force karate punch and elbow which hurt him on his face.

My initial "defensive stance", "block", and "counter" would all be as one.

The "defensive stance" would be done in response to my assailant's initial attack, and would involve Tenshin (body positioning/movement/footwork) and Shime (to close, includes covering with arms/hands) with harai/barai to control assailant's attacks. The "defensive stance" would be an evasion, an arresting of the assailant's attacks (by deflecting with Shime with harai), and body movement to counterattack, all in one.

The "block" would be a strike to the assailant's face or throat (depending on situation against me). The assailant's attacks are arrested/deflected and controlled during the "defensive stance" part, thus any "blocks" are strikes.

The "counter" would be a reverse punch or hammer fist or the like to solar plexus, ribs, or groin.

Again, all three would be done as one. After that, I would follow up with Irikumi (in-fighting) techniques like elbows, knees, Tuite, etc to ensure the situation is ended. Obviously, if the initial "defensive stance", "block", and "counter" stops the assailant and ends the situation, Irikumi is not needed (we train to always be ready to move into it, though).

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...