• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Class environment?

Just curious what other MAs would think of their class environment...in my current class I'd consider it to be relaxed but very focused. Previous experiences were less relaxed but not completely militaristic.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I try to maintain a fairly strict atmosphere, I don't mind having the odd laugh but cannot stand it when I have to wait for others so if anyone messes about or chats then I will let them know.

Sometimes it's hard and fast where there is not enough time to breath, other times we may be going through a talking point of a key principles that shouldn't take too long but can turn into a saga. I will tolerate some chat but if I feel that the lesson is being held up I will get it moving again.

As we have a few kids then you can't just shout and train hard so again you have to strike a balance of learning, working hard but still enjoying it. If it's not enjoyable then you will lose people, if it's too slow then you will lose people...

Not everyone is the same either, some you push too hard you will never see them again, others will grin and be back.

A good balance is probably the key.

I try to maintain a fairly strict atmosphere, I don't mind having the odd laugh but cannot stand it when I have to wait for others so if anyone messes about or chats then I will let them know.

Sometimes it's hard and fast where there is not enough time to breath, other times we may be going through a talking point of a key principles that shouldn't take too long but can turn into a saga. I will tolerate some chat but if I feel that the lesson is being held up I will get it moving again.

As we have a few kids then you can't just shout and train hard so again you have to strike a balance of learning, working hard but still enjoying it. If it's not enjoyable then you will lose people, if it's too slow then you will lose people...

Not everyone is the same either, some you push too hard you will never see them again, others will grin and be back.

A good balance is probably the key.

That all sounds pretty similar to the class I'm in, although being in an adult-only class we tend not to have issues with people chatting so the instructor doesn't have to deal with that.

Most of the TKD classes I've trained in are pretty structured, kind of militaristic, but not quite that strict. There is a definite hierarchy in the class, and it is to be respected. Answering up "yes, sir" or "no, sir," and such. Its ok, and it usually isn't over the top. It makes for a pretty good structure and flow of training.

I've also been in environments that are much more laid back, without the structure seen in most of the "traditional" styles of MA. These provide great training environments as well, and can be less intimidating to beginners, in my opinion.

Less talk, more training.

That's me!!

However, it's a fine line to walk, imho. For the most, I'm quite strict on the floor because the floor, to me, is holy ground. This is how our Soke and Dai-Soke treated any training floor, so, the apple didn't have to fall far for me to adopt their same approach.

There's a time for seriousness and there's a time for a more relaxed atmosphere, nonetheless, the CI will dictate the mood on the floor one way or another.

Great topic, btw.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I've been in about all of the above class types over the years. Currently, I'm in a variety now that's laid back with some minimal nods to the traditions but everyone works hard. I know, crazy right?

It's pretty good. Everyone pays attention during class but no one freaks out if they are running late. We roll with focus, but everyone is laughing and joking who isn't on the mat.

It's about perfect for me.

My class now has a very strict structure balanced with a very casual atmosphere before and after class. In both cases the instructor has a big heart and truly cares about his students. It's perfect actually.

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

Whatever ones class environment is, it should be one that's conducive to learning the MA. If not, seek more friendly skies.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Whatever ones class environment is, it should be one that's conducive to learning the MA. If not, seek more friendly skies.

So true

I would add that MA is a lifestyle so finding a school where you feel at home - I.e. Good chemistry with the instructor and your classmates is important. The learning aspect along with the social aspect will help you want to go back on a regular basis. I have trained at multiple schools over the years and have developed along the way many friendships that I treasure. For me, this has been as valuable as anything that I've learned in class. :karate:

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"