• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What if your Sensei is wrong

Here are a few ideas for the sake of discussion.

Inconsistent technical details in kata.

Grading people when they aren't ready.

Grading people when they haven't done enough training hours.

Grading a 1st kyu to Shodan before they have trained for 6th months and long before total minimum training time of 3 years.

Changing the grading to make it easier, ie less sparring than.

Allowing certain people more leniency due to friendships and family ties.

Putting the technical inconsistencies to one side - all of the other items have no direct bearing on your training so, to my way of thinking, you have two choices - put up with it (and get on with your own training) or leave.

The inconsistencies are another thing...

I've trained with quite a few senior Japanese Wado-ryu sensei over the years and you'd be amazed the level of technical inconsistency between them - Heck -it's not uncommon for same instructor to say one thing one day and something different the next!!

That's not an excuse but it happens to the best of them. Only you can decide if these inconsistencies are a major road block for you.

The other issues aren't problems for you, as they are shortcuts for others that, in the long run will suffer as a result. Nothing good ever came out of cutting corners.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

After one has determined that your Sensei was wrong, how does one rectify the relationship once its been discovered that your Sensei wasn't wrong, after all??

Surely, it's possible that the relationship might be tainted enough that the trust issue might not be resolvable.

Will an apology suffice?

Providing that the Sensei finds out in the first place.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

As some may have guessed all of this is actually true, I have tolerated a lot over the years but recent events have included grading a pal to 1st kyu and another instructors daughter to brown belt, both are not up to standard yet. There has been another major incident involving insurance so I have left and taken my 2 clubs with 30 odd students to form my own club.

I have also found 2 other clubs with great instructors where I can continue my training, one has also offered to grade my seniors as I am only a Nidan so can't grade black belts.

Quite a bit of disruption but I'm looking forward to it. I feel like I have been disloyal to my Sensei but cannot forgive the problems.

Bit late to the game here, but I thought that this was just a cool discussion....

Here are a few ideas for the sake of discussion.

Inconsistent technical details in kata.

Hey I have been caught with this and caught my instructor. we are human. we have lots to remember and while I try my best to prep for a classes I am not a memory GOD I dont like student correcting me in the class, but if i screw up then a private chat or even on the floor saying "OOOPS YOU BLOOPED" and I actually appreciate it...it means they are paying attention.

Grading people when they aren't ready.

NOT MY BUSINESS> if the instructor thinks they should test then he tells them. I dont earn any money with testing so I dont suggest people just test, I actually am more likely to not let people test, but again if my instructor says they should...not my place to say no..or question him.

Grading people when they haven't done enough training hours.

Again, some people need motivation, some people dont have the time to train at the dojo, and its not about time in. If someone does a tone of home work they might be ready but not have been at the club...not my place to guess.

Grading a 1st kyu to Shodan before they have trained for 6th months and long before total minimum training time of 3 years.

Again, Grading is not my choice. My instructor pretty much listens to me and it may be that you need to tell him the time has not lapsed, but if the student is ready he may pull "rank" and push the testing regardless.

Changing the grading to make it easier, ie less sparring than.

I would comment to him in private. I have NEVER seen my instructor do this, if anything I have seen him ask for MORE regarding the testing of some...he likes to push people as much as he can and really test them but you may want to ask.

Allowing certain people more leniency due to friendships and family ties.

NEVER have I ever seen this in our clubs. I have seen my instructor step away from the testing table when his kids tested and he has had a few friends or family members test and he has left the grade up to our technical committee.

If you feel uncomfortable about any of this you have a right to comment to him or gently ask questions.

Even monkeys fall from trees