• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where are your hands when you do a

I've been practicing some that kicks, and after 4 years of "KEEP YOUR HANDS UP! NEVER EVER DROP THEM! EVER!" I am beginning to see benifits in swinging the arm on the kicking side. It depends on whether my opponent is really expecting it. The Muay Thai kick is POWERFUL!

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shotochem wrote:

"I tend to keep my hands in a high guard position. The lead arm to protect the left side and the rear arm protecting the kicking side elbows 6" away from body facing downward to cover the ol baby back ribs. :brow: :brow: (beware of kicking the elbows :o :o )"

hehehehe I do this, too. I sometimes block with my elbows if someone isn't showing control :D We are in a full contact art, but when the instructor wants light contact, he means it LOL. And I have kicked an elbow on a few occasions. Boy, does that hurt!

Laurie F

I am beginning to see benifits in swinging the arm on the kicking side. It depends on whether my opponent is really expecting it. The Muay Thai kick is POWERFUL!

You're saying you can't get nearly as much power by twisting your hips and keeping your hands up ?

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

. And I have kicked an elbow on a few occasions. Boy, does that hurt!

I did that yesterday, and found myself limping to school today :bawling:

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, elbows do hurt. Especially if you hit it with the instep. :(

Good thing I was wearing foot-gear at the time or I would have bruised my toe tendons.

Anyway, rear leg kicks are so practical even in sparring- let me count the ways-

1. More power.

2. More balance. (for me anyway)

3. Teaches superior timing. (especially if you do them so darn slow that you get slugged in the gut before you extend.)

4. Teaches speed from momentum. (Speed also means more power even if the delivery is further!)

5. Teaches control. (I almost broke a guys ribs with a speedy rear leg round.) :o

6. Activates the balanced momentum for faster kick-to-spinning kick combos. (my round-kick spin hook is getting faster all the time).

7. They look good.

8. I am now officially babbling... :uhoh:

To get back to the main subject. My sensei would agree that that you whould always be conscouse and focused about where your hands are all the time- tight and in position because we also care about punching- but that's American Karate talking. I do agree, especially with front leg hook kicks that swinging the arms in the opposite direction adds power, but once again my instructor advises against it.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."