• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In Secret!

Interesting question.

Personally, looking back over the years I realize that the more experience I gained, the higher my rank, the more private I was about MA. When I was younger I would wear MA tees in public. Now, MA is a bigger part of my life than it ever was and I don't own a single tee.

Not sure why that is, just an observation inspired by your question. Hmmmm.... :karate:

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very interesting, when I was younger and into my teens, I was quite open about my karate training. I now try and not tell anyone.

Now I have started training in Judo, I want to try and keep it more secretive as I don't see why anyone needs to know what I study or do in my spare time (and it might come in handy for others not to know).

• 2 weeks later...

One of the t-shirts I have simply has the 'kanku' symbol on it, (the target looking thing, under my forum name) the other is interesting as now that I consider it I 'realize' it has both the Kanji on it as well as 'Kyokushin' in English written across it.

(kind'a like a cross effect)

With regarding the kanji for this or that martial art, I believe that today as much as back in the 60's and 70's when MA first reached western shores people are still fascinated by they eastern culture.

So seeing 'stuff' from the east peaks the persons interest, its fascinating even (no insult is meant by this) pretty/beautiful to see or look upon.

I guess its the mystery that is the far east seen in the high street worn by a person who is clearly not from that culture, which simply adds to mystery.

Me and my tattoos, well two of them is on a my chest, so unless I'm swimming, on the beach, they are not sen.

Where as a third is on my lower arm so easy to see when I walk around in a tee or with my sleeves rolled up.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Interesting question.

Personally, looking back over the years I realize that the more experience I gained, the higher my rank, the more private I was about MA. When I was younger I would wear MA tees in public. Now, MA is a bigger part of my life than it ever was and I don't own a single tee.

Not sure why that is, just an observation inspired by your question. Hmmmm.... :karate:

When I was younger, I wanted people to know because part of me wanted to prove myself. To whom? I don't know, but I told everybody. As I became more mature, I realized that the more people I told, the more problems it would potentially create for me. At a party a friend may get in a fight and say "Hey, my buddy John is a BB, let me get him over here and he will show you what's what!" I now know that I don't ever want to be in a real life fight if I can help it.

Edited by Zaine

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I own an academy. So most people know what I do. I don't brag about it. But i am certainly not going to hide it. I will give out a business card on a moment's notice.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Interesting question.

When I was younger, I wanted people to know because part of me wanted to prove myself. To whom? I don't know, but I told everybody. As I became more mature, I realized that the more people I told, the more problems it would potentially create for me. At a party a friend my get in a fight and say "Hey, my buddy John is a BB, let me get him over here and he will show you what's what!" I now know that I don't ever want to be in a real life fight if I can help it.

:) now that's an awkward situation !

• 1 month later...

This thread seemed like an interesting idea to think about. Personally I am very and I mean very old fashioned. Just like many in the age when karate was unknown outside Okinawa, I believe that martial arts skills should be kept away from the public.

For much the same reasons as karateka in old Okinawa I keep my knowledge of martial arts secret. I never ever practise outside my home indoors or my dojo unless I am sure not to been seen. I go as far as denying that I have any knowledge or interests in martial arts. Only my sensei, my fellow semi-private students and members of my close family know I do karate. I have asked them never to speak about it. Nobody at work or otherwise knows.

The reason is I would much rather not deal with people who are ignorant and misinformed. I also wish to avoid being badgered by hecklers or challenged by fools with something to prove. Only fellow karateka can tell I do it without me saying so because of certain clues. Even if such people ask me I will not go into details until I can see what kind of character they have.

The last reason is probably the most important. Being known as a karateka makes people put you in two categories: a somewhat masochist thug or a boring weirdo obsessed with something that people don't care about unless it's in some movie.

This thread seemed like an interesting idea to think about. Personally I am very and I mean very old fashioned. Just like many in the age when karate was unknown outside Okinawa, I believe that martial arts skills should be kept away from the public.

For much the same reasons as karateka in old Okinawa I keep my knowledge of martial arts secret. I never ever practise outside my home indoors or my dojo unless I am sure not to been seen. I go as far as denying that I have any knowledge or interests in martial arts. Only my sensei, my fellow semi-private students and members of my close family know I do karate. I have asked them never to speak about it. Nobody at work or otherwise knows.

The reason is I would much rather not deal with people who are ignorant and misinformed. I also wish to avoid being badgered by hecklers or challenged by fools with something to prove. Only fellow karateka can tell I do it without me saying so because of certain clues. Even if such people ask me I will not go into details until I can see what kind of character they have.

The last reason is probably the most important. Being known as a karateka makes people put you in two categories: a somewhat masochist thug or a boring weirdo obsessed with something that people don't care about unless it's in some movie.

I can very much appreciate your position. Life experiences have led me to a very similar perspective. Good post!

Well I'll add this as a minor update.

It relates to my tattoos (or rather the one on my forearm)

I was walking around a store the other day, and was aware of a couple who were whispering and pointing.

There was no giggling, no malice in the sounds I could catch ...to me it was excitement, it was respectful.

Really not really sure, they spoke Japanese!

Eventually I had a basket of stuff and stood in the 'q' for the till, this is where it became apparent to me what and why.

I caught them looking at me and my arm, the penny dropped in my head, so I smiled and gave a little bow to them, kyokushin style.

They both stood proud and bowed back and came over saying the only two words pointing at my arm "Kyokushinkai?"

&

"osu!"

An odd chat, not sure who got more out of it me or them, but they seemed happy enough, especially after they inspected my knuckles.!!!

(Others though it was funny...but then they had no idea what 'Kyokushinkai' or 'osu' meant or why this Japanese couple wanted to inspect my knuckles and what the meaning of that check was!

East meets West....

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

I assist in instructing some classes so my immediate social circle know I am involved in the martial arts. A few relative strangers know I am involved, such as people who have seen me teaching or training, or bring their children to a children's sessions.

I do have a local reputation among people involved in fighting arts for knocking out a well known hard-man when I worked as a doorman. Plus I used to compete a lot in my teen years so people involved in competition during that time in local circles know me, or know my name.

I would say I am more widely known for my martial arts involvement than I'd like because it makes me seem one dimensional, and directs a lot of people's first impression. Really; I generally do not tell people I am involved unless it becomes an inconvenience not to tell them or it is a subject we have in common.

R. Keith Williams