• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How private are you with your MA?

I don't go round shouting it, but I don't hide it.

If people are interested, then I talk about it - this is also a way to get people interested :)

I am the same way. I don't announce it, but if someone like minded asks about it or brings it up, I chime in on the subject, because I love to talk MA with those in it or interested in it.

As far as practicing goes, I like to do most of that in-house. I will practice outside occasionally, but I try to keep an eye out for on-lookers, and tend to clam up when others come around.

One of my students not too long ago was practicing in the local park and the local police were patrolling the park, stopped, and questioned her as to what she was doing, then they made her leave the park immediately.

Why did they make her leave, is there some kind of law preventing practice in public? As long as nobody is getting hurt, then to me there was no harm in what she was doing. Although, I would probably not practice in public. Where I live you're more likely to get hassle from the general public (mostly young neds) seeing what you were doing and try to have a go, all for the entertainment of their friends.

M.

In her case, the two officers advised her that the park she was practicing had a heavy gang activity, and when the officers advised her, she shrugged them off. So, the two officers, for her safety, instructed her to leave immediately because they couldn't guarantee her safety while she was practicing. One of the officers said that she was in full gi, and that that would just not work should a gang member(s) were to see her.

She told me she didn't have anywhere else to practice that day. I told her...FIND A PLACE, any place other than that park, and please don't wear your gi because it invites the wrong elements.

:)

I was curious on your first post about this, but the elaboration makes sense. A good call on their part, I'd say. They probably didn't want to have to do that, but better that than working an aggravated battery or worse later on.

Working out like this, its important to know where you are and what's around you, before you make the decsion to attract attention to yourself like that. I'm sorry that her training got cut off, but glad that someone cared enough to attempt to keep her safe.

Im pretty open about it. I never wanted to be that guy but somehow about half my wardrobe is BJJ related. Between that and always bowing out of other activities to go train it becomes hard for everyone not to know.

Martial arts are my drug, and I want to be a good dealer! I don't make a big deal out of it, but people that know me know that I train. The bruising has to be explained somehow. I don't train in public much. In the yard for kata I can't fit in the house, heavy bag work or general fitness out doors. And we have had to train in the park before. Not because we wanted to, but because when I took over the school we were being pushed out of our current location.

I've had to explain some tee shirts too. A Sprawl shirt, not so easy to explain. Tap Cancer Out, a little easier.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

As a rule no not really, I'm aware it makes some uncomfortable to see the word Karate or MMA so for there sake I don't do it on purpose, more because it was the top I picked up that morning!

I'm happy to wear tees with the name or symbols on them, most who look at the tee do so because they see kanji characters, or a symbol that looks like a target, only people from that part of the world understand and smile the westerners have no idea what it is they are looking at.

I've a 'hoody' I'd wear when going to the dojo on cold days.

I don't go out in my Gi, and can't recall the last demo I attended, although I have stood outside in the sun with 10 or 15 others doing kata and tile breaks.

Mind you I have tattoos of the Kanji and Kanku on my body so I guess the answer is truthfully yes! all the time!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

One of my students not too long ago was practicing in the local park and the local police were patrolling the park, stopped, and questioned her as to what she was doing, then they made her leave the park immediately.

Why did they make her leave, is there some kind of law preventing practice in public? As long as nobody is getting hurt, then to me there was no harm in what she was doing. Although, I would probably not practice in public. Where I live you're more likely to get hassle from the general public (mostly young neds) seeing what you were doing and try to have a go, all for the entertainment of their friends.

M.

In her case, the two officers advised her that the park she was practicing had a heavy gang activity, and when the officers advised her, she shrugged them off. So, the two officers, for her safety, instructed her to leave immediately because they couldn't guarantee her safety while she was practicing. One of the officers said that she was in full gi, and that that would just not work should a gang member(s) were to see her.

She told me she didn't have anywhere else to practice that day. I told her...FIND A PLACE, any place other than that park, and please don't wear your gi because it invites the wrong elements.

:)

Ah, I see now. Yeah doing it with a gi on kind of draws even more attention, and I definitely wouldn't be doing it where there is heavy gang activity. In this case I agree with the police officers actions.

M.

Be water, my friend.

Friends I also doing practice with my coach Mr Anand Jugran Who has a black belt in taekwondo.We do practice in a open ground and many people used to see that and by watching you they can be interested inyou and martial arts.so I think there is no problem while doing practice in front of people.But always keep in your mind that no one should be harmed while your practice.

I too am not one who wears his training like a badge. Im not sure why. I take pride in my training, I love the system, but I am a mostly private person. If it comes up in conversation, I dont hide it but I dont tell stories like "Last night in karate class. . . . "

I don't do it for anyone else's benefit.

If my backyard was a little more private I would do it.

Funny. I'm exactly the same way.

I also make a point of not talking about it at work because I learned that you never know how people will react to it no matter how you discuss it. Years ago I mentioned to my coworkers that I train - in fact it came up in harmless conversation and I never mentioned it again. However, one of the guys was a very insecure wannabe alpha-type and he kept harassing me about it for years. Like sneaking up on me at the water cooler, etc. it was funny for a day or two but quickly got out of hand and very awkward. I learned in that experience to be more careful about discussing MA.

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

As a rule no not really, I'm aware it makes some uncomfortable to see the word Karate or MMA so for there sake I don't do it on purpose, more because it was the top I picked up that morning!

I'm happy to wear tees with the name or symbols on them, most who look at the tee do so because they see kanji characters, or a symbol that looks like a target, only people from that part of the world understand and smile the westerners have no idea what it is they are looking at.

I've a 'hoody' I'd wear when going to the dojo on cold days.

I don't go out in my Gi, and can't recall the last demo I attended, although I have stood outside in the sun with 10 or 15 others doing kata and tile breaks.

Mind you I have tattoos of the Kanji and Kanku on my body so I guess the answer is truthfully yes! all the time!

This brings up a question...what do people think of wearing a T-shirt with some kind of martial arts emblems or logos? Not that I want to advertise but I do wear T-shirts related to other recreational activities. Kind of like the idea of a T-shirt with the Kanji because as mentioned most westerners wouldn't know what it means...