• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The toughest part

For me it's transitioning the kicking technique from years of Muay Thai to TKD which I am now training. Both styles are wonderful, AND very different.

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's transitioning the kicking technique from years of Muay Thai to TKD which I am now training. Both styles are wonderful, AND very different.
Years ago, I remember reading an article in Black Belt Magazine about a guy who had done, or was doing, both TKD and Muay Thai. He kind of dubbed it TNT, and I think he was out of Florida.

Also, KwonKicker is a youtube channel of a TKD stylist that went and trained and fought in some Thai matches. You might find some of those interesting to look into.

How about having to be ready to teach every time you step on the mats as an instructor? There are days when it just isn't there. All I want to do is spar, roll or bang on pads. It's selfish I know, but it's better than slogging through a lack luster, flat training session with the students.

On a more personal side, I would have to say it's my BJJ (the ground part PitbullJudoka!). I'm so utterly inconsistent that it's not even funny. Some nights I'm really, really on other nights I'm getting smoked or struggling to hold my own against very junior students.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

There are 2 things for me. The first is having my legs keep up with my training! The second is trying to "unlearn" everything I've been taught in certain situations. I transitioned from Shotokan (years ago) with very tight basics to an open system that has Muay Thai, Shorin Ryu, and Kung Fu techniques, so we do a lot of trapping, throws, inside fighting, etc. whereas, I never did that in my previous training. So when we're doing bunkai from a Shotokan based kata, it's hard for me to not trap, kick with my front leg, or forego a step when I can counter with a reverse punch, etc.

The good news is that my instincts are what's making it happen, and it can be considered a good thing. But when I'm trying to set an example for the kyu level students, it messes them up.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

Learning technique is the easy part. In my time I've seen many masters of technique. The real mark of a martial artist; is genuine discipline and humility which seems to prove evasive for the majority of practitioners.

Above I mentioned the toughest part of MA for me at this time - transitioning from MT kicks to TKD kicks. However, as a long time MA practitioner and instructor I believe the toughest part for most people is understanding that MA is a lifelong journey toward personal betterment - physically, mentally, and in every aspect of your life.

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

• 4 months later...

yoko enpiuchi

The back side of my elbow is a bundle of exposed nerves due to my unfortunate skeletal structure. If I ever seriously use side elbow strike or rear elbow strike, I lose feeling in my hands for a while. I an not sure that there is a non-surgical solution for this aside from not hitting with that part of my elbow. Unfortunately, this is a pretty basic technique. Luckily we usually just practice it in the air, which is not a problem.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro