• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The toughest part

Opps, my bad, I misunderstood the OP question...

Overall, I hate that I've no superior to teach me anymore within Shindokan.

:)

That awkward point when all of your rank progressions are political? I hate that as well.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yakusoku kumite. They are largely impractical, with one or two practical bits thrown in, so I'm not as interested in them as our bunkai drills that are more free-form and practical. We also don't practice them all that much, and you have to learn both the attacking side and the defending side, so it's a lot of material to try to memorize.

Aren't your drills pre-arranged to an extent?

I get what you are saying, but I think yakusoku-gumite is an important bridge.

All drills/pre-arranged forms are kata (including bunkai drills). It's only when you get into the realms of Jiyu-kumite/randori that you start to join up the dots - hopefully!

It's the "shu-ha-ri" of a kata based pedagogy.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

I have trouble remembering the one step sparring techniques. I just remember the ones I have to know for the test and just forget about the rest. I wish they were stuck in my mind.

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)

That awkward point when all of your rank progressions are political? I hate that as well.

Huh? I don't quite understand the question.

:-?

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The constant grind. There's so much fliud training in every art i do it can get wearing. There's always something sore, or worse, that you're working through. Mentally it can just be wearing.

I have found that with a lot of organizations, there becomes a point where ranking up is a political gesture, or an honorary one. This is due to a lot of reasons, but my Sensei ran into it and hated it. He was promoted to rokudan because the ones who ran the organization felt that he was due for a promotion. He certainly had the skill but he wasn't happy about it.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I have found that with a lot of organizations, there becomes a point where ranking up is a political gesture, or an honorary one. This is due to a lot of reasons, but my Sensei ran into it and hated it. He was promoted to rokudan because the ones who ran the organization felt that he was due for a promotion. He certainly had the skill but he wasn't happy about it.

Ok, I understand the question, thank you!

Yes, your points are well founded and solid across the board. Fumio Demura Sensei was put in that situation by his own Sensei, and the mindset by his Sensei was that if Demura Sensei was to remain Godan, many of his own students would "pass" him, rank wise. Therefore, Demura Sensei submitted to his Sensei's mindset.

My own Hombu kind of shoved my Kudan promotion down my throat, even though it took them many, many years before I submitted. But when I did finally submit, I forced them to test me for it instead of just handing down to me. It was a test that our Dai-Soke would've approved of! I was content as Hachidan, and I'm still not very comfortable with being a Kudan, especially the political overtones implied my our Hombu.

Then, there's those high ranks that AREN'T content with being a Rokudan or a Nanadan or a Hachidan, so they find their own governing body and promote themselves through the newly formed board.

Ranks fueled by politics can be viewed unfavorable!!

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Sparring has always been tough for me. I've just never been a really talented athlete. I can grasp some concepts and teach some of them fairly well, but putting them to work in a match has never really panned out well for me.

One-steps are tough, as well. We have some that do some challenging kicking stuff, but as far as practicality goes, only the early ones are decent, and then later on, not so much.

The constant grind. There's so much fliud training in every art i do it can get wearing. There's always something sore, or worse, that you're working through. Mentally it can just be wearing.

I'm with you here. My knees scream at me, and that's just when I drop into a stance while teaching, let alone actually being in line in a class, going up and down the floor. Its hell getting old.

• 3 weeks later...