• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm going to a new dojo on Monday.

You might have remembered I posted a thread about discrimination a while ago. I just thought I would update everyone on the situation. I finally left for good, and now I'm going to a new dojo on either Saturday or Monday. I went in yesterday for practice and to meet the new instructor. I've heard some great things. He says there isn't any discrimination there and everyone gets respected equally. I'm currently a red belt and I love training in Tang Soo Do. It has significantly raised my self confidence. I think changing schools was well worth it because I can actually enjoy class. My old instructor has brought up something new since I created the last thread. He started doing this thing called Maria meditation. You have to sit facing a wall for ten minutes of class saying Maria. That's the name of one of the Mexicans. My instructor favors this ethnic group, but we should all get treated equally. He puts Maria up on a giant pedestal and everyone worships her. Maria thinks too highly of herself and I'd like to say she hates everyone, but I think it's just me. I've never seen her be so disrespectful towards anyone before. When I asked her why she was being rude, she told me it's because I'm an American. Is she racist or something? Somebody else discriminates me for having Autism and he makes it so obvious that I have it. My instructor said that Maria is just as great as the grandmaster. There is a picture of Maria right next to the grandmaster, which I find ridiculous! I'm glad I left, and I can't wait to start at my new dojo on Monday. I might be able to go Saturday. I'll give everyone an update on how my first day goes.

I don't really understand because Maria told me I was stupid for leaving because I couldn't handle her awesomeness. I just found that really immature. The instructor calls everything Maria, as well. At the beginning of class, he said bow to the Maria flags. During class, he said go get the Maria hand pads. The calendar in both rooms has Maria written before every month. I want everyone's opinion on this whole Maria thing. I like to think of this as a joke, but I think my old instructor's being serious.

I'm glad I never have to go back to excuse of a dojo ever again. I can keep my rank because my new dojo is with the same organization.

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Maria thing sounds very odd. I'm not really sure what to make of that. It sounds to me like some kind of joke or something, but I can't be sure. Something's not adding up.

At any rate, hopefully your new school works out well for you. Keep us posted as to the progress of your classes. :karate:

I think you've done the right thing in finding a new Dojo, that kind of environment can't be good for training and I'll bet yu won't be the last student to find another class due to this behavior, the other students will begin to resent the focus always being on this Maria character. She sounds delightful, and probably not as good as she thinks or the instructor is leading her to believe she is. Sound more like he has a very unhealthy obsession with her. It's all very well holding up a top student to inspire the rest of the class, but this definately sounds weird.

I hope you are enjoying your new class and can resume your Martial Arts journey in the way it should be enjoyed.

M.

Be water, my friend.

The Maria thing is pretty off-putting. Congrats on your new dojo though! I hope that this one works out many times better than your last!

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Good job, Fang! Taking the initiative to remove yourself from a harmful environment takes courage and is something to be proud of! I hope you flourish in your new dojo. :-)

That is definitely very, very strange. I would like to think it is some sort of joke that has gotten out of hand, but it's still not very respectful of him to brush off the concerns of one of his students. I applaud you for leaving a situation that was uncomfortable for you!

Is your new dojo also Tang Soo Do, or is it a different style?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Im glad FangPwns you are leaving that dumb dojo who is racist because your American and have Autism that's good you found a great dojo and a great teacher about maria forget about her she aint worth it

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

How extremely odd.

1. You're right for getting out of there.

2. That place sounds almost cultish.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."