• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Makes A Dojo/Dojang Good?

The class and the ability of the teacher to teach and control it.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Shrug* Through experience I've found that just having a good instructor doesn't make or break a dojo. If the other students are just messing around or don't put any effort into the art or don't care, it really ruins the experience.

karatekid1975- I was the one that posted that, you know. :P

A good, dedicated instructor who's trying to make his or her students the best martial artists possible and not out to make a buck.

i agree. i tihnk the most important thing about a dojo is the teacher.

but it also needs dedicated students who take it seriously and want to improve and help other people to improve to.

Oops. Sorry Kyle.

:lol: No problem.

Kensai- Traditionally, yes. However I've seen many examples of a good Sensei who's students weren't so much interested in learning as getting their next belt and, as a result, didn't put in the proper effort and messed around a lot.

IMO, the Sensei, should instill his/her students to push themselves.

MA's unlike school are not forced, so if they dont want to be there, they should not be there. If they dont want to learn kick them out. But thats the Sensei's job, to police his ranks.

Take Care.

MA's unlike school are not forced, so if they dont want to be there, they should not be there. If they dont want to learn kick them out.

I agree .... unfortunately some school's cannot "afford" to kick students out --- schools that are in ma strictly for business.

But I like the analogy of the class being a garden, those that "mess around" are the weeds. It's the instructor's "job" to weed out the garden so as the weeds don't choke the roots of the "flowers" trying to grow.