• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Makes A Dojo/Dojang Good?

I was wondering what everyone's opinion on this was. I'm hoping that one day I'll be skilled enough to open my own, but not after years of practice and research. The McDojo phenomenon disgusts me and I do not wish to partake in it.

What's your guys opinion? Is it emphasis on tradition, ethics and philosphy, honesty of the teacher, proper equipment, reasonable prices, etc.? This thread would probably be nice for anyone, not just people like me who have thought about opening up a school but for potential students who appreciate true martial arts over black belt cash machines.

Know thyself.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good, dedicated instructor who's trying to make his or her students the best martial artists possible and not out to make a buck.

Students that work hard and make sure noone falls behind. The better your training partners, the better your technique will become.

A good, dedicated instructor who's trying to make his or her students the best martial artists possible and not out to make a buck.

How true, the Kancho in a dojo is one of the most important things, someone who can teach his students to be better at the art than he is. My kancho loves it if I or one of the other students manage to get one in on him in sparring.

The students in a dojo are also very important, I think a group of likeminded people is needed to make a dojo a fantastic place to train.

- Only by contrast can we see.

- Each for his own.

IMO the instructor makes or breaks the experience for the student. It all comes down to knowing the material and people skills. Fancy equipment and such don't mean squat if you have a clown teaching you. Some of my best training was in an outdoor dojo.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

A good dojo. I think people make a good dojo or everything else. The teacher, sensei, or how you wish to call that person must have a lot of qualities: kindness, proficience, intelligence, a good way to treat the student, a great deal of knowledge regarding MA, first aid ...

Your coleagues must be also like family and the relationships between them should be fair and relaxed.

In order for a dojo to be good you must feel like home. When you count the hours until the next training session then you can be sure you've found that certain kind of dojo. We shouldn't forget that a dojo must be well equiped and thus it has the chance of becoming the "greatest" :)

It is very important to have a great sensei, but it is equally important to having an great group of students who encourage a positive heathy environment to train in.

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

I totally agree with KU on this:

"A good, dedicated instructor who's trying to make his or her students the best martial artists possible and not out to make a buck."

I TSD instructor WANTED us to be better than him. He was tough, but a friend at the same time. He is a great guy. I still train with him when I visit NJ (my home state). He was like a big brother to me at times. He even let me clean the dojang so I can train (when I lost my job). I will never forget him for that, and for what he's done for me.

My opinion is that if an instructor leaves a lasting impression on you like he did with me, he is a great instructor. And like someone said above, you know it in your heart when you found the right place to train (that's how I felt with my TSD dojang). If he ever reads this: Thank you, Mr B. *bows respectfully*

Laurie F