• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Artists different styles meeting for "sparring&

Should MAist get together to "spar" when they are from different styles?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should MAist get together to "spar" when they are from different styles?

• Yes
    • No
    • Mixed feelings
    • Mixed feelings, but lean towards yes
    • Mixed feelings, but lean towards no

As long as

isn't one of those arts, I think it's a great idea. the Gracie's use to do what they called Dojo Storming, where they would show up at other schools and ask the Master log anyone wanted a "friendly sparring Match" that had to be exciting.[/url]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for it, but it really comes down to time and money, which is something I kinda lack most of the time. :(

"When I have listened to my mistakes, I have grown." ~Bruce Lee

YES....AND OFTEN!!

Learning about the different styles is fine, but learning about the practitioner is just as important, if not more so!! The style's not going to hit you, but the practitioner is!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but it brought back some good memories...

I used to bartend at a restaurant. The kitchen was full of MAists somehow. I was studying a Kyokushin offshoot and still involved in my high school's wrestling team, and the kitchen had a guys from TKD, American Kenpo, Judo, JKD, and 2 boxers. All were either actively practicing or stopped training not too long ago.

A few of us got together one day at the Kenpo guy's house to spar. After word got around, our "Fight Club" grew. People started inviting friends from their dojos to come along. We even had some non-MAists come along to spar, including my brother who thought MA didn't work. One of the Judo guys had some gymnastics mats he'd bring along. The more I think about it, we were like the UFC before the UFC. It was a great time, and somehow it never got out of control. We were pretty heavy on the contact, but not all out. I think it was the unspoken understanding that if you got out of line, the next guy would put you in your place.

I ran in to the guy who's house we used to go to a few years ago at a bar. We laughed about all of us moving the furniture outside to spar and somehow it never crossed anyone's mind to just spar outside instead.

To be in your early 20s again...

Not only YES, but quite OFTEN. To exchange, one student to another, and style to style, there's so much to learn, thusly, so much to harness, and so little time.

As long as it is done with respect for each other then it is a great way to identify weaknesses and train to stop them.

However...

I was training at a Karate Dojo where a local MMA/BJJ club asked to get together for a "friendly sparring jam". After a few bouts it became clear that they were there for their own egos and expected to get every karateka onto the ground and into trouble. It didn't work like that as the dojo trained extensively in kata bunkai including locks, throws and groundfighting. One of the guys started complaining that we were not using karate. One of the senior students replied that we were using karate but why should that matter in a "friendly sparring jam"? Things got a bit heated and some people started getting injured so we called a halt and parted in ill humour. If there is no hidden agenda then it can be great fun but beware the egos.

As long as it is done with respect for each other then it is a great way to identify weaknesses and train to stop them.

However...

I was training at a Karate Dojo where a local MMA/BJJ club asked to get together for a "friendly sparring jam". After a few bouts it became clear that they were there for their own egos and expected to get every karateka onto the ground and into trouble. It didn't work like that as the dojo trained extensively in kata bunkai including locks, throws and groundfighting. One of the guys started complaining that we were not using karate. One of the senior students replied that we were using karate but why should that matter in a "friendly sparring jam"? Things got a bit heated and some people started getting injured so we called a halt and parted in ill humour. If there is no hidden agenda then it can be great fun but beware the egos.

The egos are what'll make it a fiasco. It's a big hit to the ego of an instructor if many of his/her students aren't doing well. People start taking things personally. Some people also turn it into a competition rather than a learning experience.

I'm not casting a blanket statement, but from what I've seen the MMA crowd has a ton of competition minded practicioners. More so than a lot of the traditional arts practicioners. All you need is one or two people trying a bit too hard to win (from either side) and some cheering on in the wrong way, and you'll have people following suit. The mob mentality.

The CIs involved really need to set the tone and put out small fires before they get out of control.

Yes, I am more in favour of open sessions with lots of different individuals taking part, then the school cheerleading doesn't cloud things. It is often better if teachers, coaches and instructors stay out of it.

The best way to avoid things like this is to have a plan. For instance, if the session is being hosted by one school, then that school's CI should hopefully have a plan or a direction he/she wants the session to go. Working on concepts? Counter ideas? Kickers helping punchers, and vise versa? Ideas like this. Or, if the same group gets together over a month period or such, then let each session be "hosted" by a different instructor, that way, everyone gets a dose of what everyone else does on a regular basis. With this approach, the learning focus stays in tact, whereas if 7 guys just show up to spar each other, its going to likely end up being a sparring session, that someone wants to walk away feeling like they won.

The best way to avoid things like this is to have a plan. For instance, if the session is being hosted by one school, then that school's CI should hopefully have a plan or a direction he/she wants the session to go. Working on concepts? Counter ideas? Kickers helping punchers, and vise versa? Ideas like this. Or, if the same group gets together over a month period or such, then let each session be "hosted" by a different instructor, that way, everyone gets a dose of what everyone else does on a regular basis. With this approach, the learning focus stays in tact, whereas if 7 guys just show up to spar each other, its going to likely end up being a sparring session, that someone wants to walk away feeling like they won.

Solid post!!