• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are my body proportions a disadvantage in Karate?

aes

I stand about 5’9” (175cm) tall and I have a very long torso and pretty short legs (27 inch (68cm) inseam). My legs are genetically extremely muscular and strong though.

I was wondering if having shorter legs and a long body is a disadvantage in Karate or maybe an advantage?

I have been told that being really tall is a disadvantage.

Any thoughts?

Al

P.S. I hate the real long torso as my gi does not look right.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Try the Pro Force gi's they have fairly long tops much longer than the century gi's.

As to body type I think that as one learns more and becomes more proficeint they find certain moves or combinations of moves that suit there abilities better. One should always work on the basics but from them you will learn what you can really do with them. Does that make any sense?

I think that you should be fine. I am 5'9" but my legs are much longer then my torso. Having a larger torso can have great advantages though, since your center of gravity is lower then someone with long legs. I feel that in karate all body types can apply the movments and find out what works best for themsleves. You might have more difficulty with some things and an easier with others, you have to make it work :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

it depends on what you want to do really. for kumite i would say it probobly wouldnt be a problem, you just have to learn to apply things better than the other guy. As far as kata. in shotokan or wado it might be a problem that takes alot of work. but in shito or goju ryu youd be fine.

There is a young man(18)who has about 18 cm legs and 14 cm arms in the aau circuit who is a finalist every year. (Dwarfs rock)

So if a midget can rock at karate so can you =)

P.S. Who told you being tall is a disadvantage? The best fighters in the world are very tall and very lean.

Your height shouldn’t matter it just means your adaptation to each technique will be different, it will also determine how you fight as some techniques will work better for you than others. As for having short legs I can’t see how it would be a disadvantage having short legs should make you a faster kicker and if you have strong legs it would make for quite an advantage to have fast strong kicks. Also if the shortness of your legs means that you can kick as high that’s not a disadvantage either, a solid kick to the knee is just as effective as one to the head.

- Only by contrast can we see.

- Each for his own.

Each size has its advantages. If your big and strong you would want to use your strengh to your advantage, wheras if your small and little you will want to use your agility to your advantage.

No size is wrong or write. My teacher is very big and squatty and has huge muscles where as his assistant a tiny little women with a whole different body.

Any disadvantage can be an advantage if you look at it an treat it right. If I have it and you don't I need to know how I can best use that to help me. God gave you a body to work with make the best of it.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

As you train you will find your natural strengths and areas of opportunity. Everyone is different. My attitude is to train hard, do your best, and have a good time.

The gi thing...they all seem to fit differently. 8)

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Thanks for the feed back. :-)

I was concerned that short legs mean no reach or a hard time kicking to the head. Other Martial arts friends and relatives say in a street fight they wouldn't try many kicks to the head anyway due to how open it leaves you if they counter it effectively. However for Kumite I would think a kick to the head would score some good points.

My strong legs have been an advantage for several of the stances as they can easily handle Shiko, Kiba etc Dashi stances for long periods of time. And yes once I get the dang streatching the ham strings worked out I would hate to be on the receiving end of one of my kicks due to my genetically big muscles on my legs.

But at times I feel like a dwarf. :-)

Al

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate