• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate in South Manchester, UK.

Joebloggs

Hello everybody,

I am new to martial arts but I am currently looking to join a reputable and well run Karate club in the South Manchester, UK area. My main focus is fitness, self-defence and competition.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

JB.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is the best I can find; there are several clubs under this umbrella;

Cobra Martial Arts Association

Head Office: 24 Corporation Road, Audenshaw, Manchester M34 5LP.

Tel: 07909 673894. Several clubs around Manchester, visit their website at http://www.cobramartialarts.info.

:)

Look to the far mountain and see all.

While I don't know Garry Harford personally, he does seem to have a good rep and the KUGB is one of the best Shotokan karate associations out there (there are a few good ones). His dojo is in Manchester M15 6HP, if that's anywhere near you.

If I come across any more, I'll post them here :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

I have practiced both; they are Okinawan Karate, so they have similarities. They are on opposite branches of the style tree; so they have fundamental differences. These are too many to list here either way. But with experience, you should be able to identify both styles. That said; the greatest factor is the Sensei and the way he teaches. Both styles have the good, the bad and the ugly. Some Shukokai Sensei are very poor. Some Shotokan Sensei are a poor representation of what they once were. But some excel at Karate in both camps. I admire our local Shotokan club, they are JKA and hold some of the best black belts in Wales. My Sensei who is a Kickboxer and a Shukokai master is a humble genius; and I consider him like a brother. Good Luck in your search, may your choice be worthy of you. Your gut instinct is never wrong.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Thanks again everybody.

From the feedback provided and my internet search there appears to be a strong pedigree of instructors dating back to the 1960’s, as mentioned previously I am sure how the style is taught makes all the difference.

I feel this is going to be an interesting journey.

JB.

Thanks again everybody.

From the feedback provided and my internet search there appears to be a strong pedigree of instructors dating back to the 1960’s, as mentioned previously I am sure how the style is taught makes all the difference.

I feel this is going to be an interesting journey.

JB.

Hi Joebloggs,

Just a quick message to recommend the club I train at, Stockport Shotokan Karate Club - http://www.stockportshotokan.co.uk/, which trains three times a week in Hazel Grove/Bramhall in Stockport. We train under Sensei Mo Chebouli 5th, who is simply awesome in his spirit and knowledge of karate. His teacher is Sensei Masao Kawasoe, who is a JKA qualified 8th Dan. Sensei Chebouli is nearing the end of recovering from an operation recently but his teaching really is superb and it would be good to see a potential new member come and check out the club :-)

I don't know how local Hazel Grove/Bramhall is for you, hopefully you can at least give us a go and see what you think! You'll be very welcome.

Oss :) :)

P.s. we have a training session tonight at 7.30pm so hopefully you can see this message in time!